Work, Elastic and Kinetic Energy

In summary, the body moves at 8.0 m/s at x = 3.0 m, but at x = 4.0 m, the velocity is reduced to 6.0 m/s.
KMjuniormint5

Homework Statement

The only force acting on a 2.4 kg body as it moves along the positive x-axis has an x component Fx = - 6x N, where x is in meters. The velocity of the body at x = 3.0 m is 8.0 m/s.
- What is the velocity of the body at x = 4.0 m?

Homework Equations

W = [tex]\Delta[/tex]0.5*m*v^2
that is for kinetic

W = [tex]\Delta[/tex]0.5kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the two equations equal to each other since no outside force is acting:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]0.5*m*v^2 = -[tex]\Delta[/tex]0.5kx^2 . . .
so . . . .
.5(2.4)(v^2) - .5(2.4)(8^2) = - .5(6)(3^2) - .5(6)(4^2)

is that right for the spring constant or is k = 6*x . . . .?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi KMjuniormint5,

I don't see a spring in this problem so you don't need the spring expression. You have the formula that shows the effect of the work on the kinetic energy. Now what is the formula for the work done by a force?

w = F*d where d is the distance but it is only in the x direction. . let me try that

so (-6)(4^2)-(-6)(3^2) = .5(2.4)(v^2)-.5(2.4)(8^2) and solve for v?

KMjuniormint5 said:
w = F*d where d is the distance but it is only in the x direction. . let me try that

That would apply for a constant force where the force and motion are in the same direction.

However, this force varies with x, so you need to use the integral form.

take the intergal of F*d? . . .

For a particle moving in the x direction, the work done is:

[tex]
W \equiv \int\limits_{x_i}^{x_f} F_x \ dx
[/tex]

so the force is going to .5*(-6)(x)^2 with xi = 3 and xf = 4

KMjuniormint5 said:
so the force is going to .5*(-6)(x)^2 with xi = 3 and xf = 4

(You said force, but I'm sure you meant work.) Yes, that will be the work done from xi to xf once you evaluate it with the limits. Once you have that you can relate it to the change in kinetic energy.

On looking back at this thread, I have to apologize. That force is the force of a spring, of course, so what we are doing will lead back to something like what you were doing in your first thread.

The work for a spring is:

[tex]
W = -\frac{1}{2} k x_f^2 + \frac{1}{2}k x_i^2
[/tex]

which is the kind of idea you had for the work done originally. You did have a sign error in that equation, but if you use the above you should get the correct sign.

ok ya. . .i was just confused about the spring part because they said to use the spring equation. . .all i had wrong was the sign. . . thanks a lot!

1. What is work and how is it related to energy?

Work is the measure of the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and it causes the object to move. This means that work and energy are directly related - the more work that is done on an object, the more energy it gains or loses.

2. What is elastic energy and how is it different from kinetic energy?

Elastic energy is the potential energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is different from kinetic energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Elastic energy is stored in an object, while kinetic energy is the result of an object's movement.

3. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This means that the heavier and faster an object is moving, the more kinetic energy it will have.

4. Can energy be transferred between different forms?

Yes, energy can be transferred between different forms. For example, when an object falls from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it gains speed. Similarly, when a spring is released, its elastic energy is converted into kinetic energy as it bounces back to its original shape.

5. How is the conservation of energy related to work, elastic and kinetic energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This applies to work, elastic, and kinetic energy - energy can be transferred between these forms, but the total amount of energy remains constant. This means that the work done on an object will result in a change in its kinetic or elastic energy, but the total energy will always remain the same.