1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work, energy and power question

1. Mar 3, 2007 #1
    The question is:
    A pump raises 1800 litres of water per minute through a vertical distance of 9m. Given that 1 litre of water has a mass of 1kg, find the power developed by the pump if the water is delivered at 12m/s.

My thoughts are as follows. If the pump raises 1800kg of water per minute, then it must raise (1800/60)kg of water per second, which is 30kg per second. It's raising this against the force of gravity, so Force = ma = 30*g. Work done = force*distance = 30g*9 = 291g. Power is work done / time, but I've modelled it per second so power = 291g.

Obviously that can't be right as the thing states it's delivered at 12m/s and I haven't used that. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2007 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

You need to work out the kinetic energy of the delivered water, and how much work is done accelerating it.

4. Mar 5, 2007 #3
    thanks for the reply and sorry i am late.

so the kinetic energy is (0.5*30*12*12) = 2160J. And the work done is against gravity, so E = Work done = Fd = (30g*9) = (291g)J.

So is the power equal to (2160 + 291g)J/s? Because I have modelled everything in 1 second.

Is this right?

5. Mar 5, 2007 #4
    wait. it says the water is delivered at 12m/s so work done = 30g * 12 instead of 9. but i don't understand why the vertical distance is given to me? and what does "delivered at 12m/s" mean?

6. Mar 5, 2007 #5
    Yes, it is. The pump does work, accelerating the water to 12m/s and also moving it up, doing work against the gravitational force G = mg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?