Work, Energy and power questions

In summary: So, 500 watts = force x distance / time. Force = mass x acceleration. What is the acceleration? Acceleration = force/mass. So, 500 watts = mass x acceleration x distance / time. You know all of those values except acceleration. Solve for acceleration. Then apply the kinematics equation v = v0 + a*t to find the maximum speed. In summary, a 500w motor is used to pull a 12kg mass along a level surface from rest. The maximum speed that the mass can reach is 4.25m/s. However, the calculation used to determine this speed is incorrect and a better approach would be to use the formula Power = work/time
pantiome
A 500w motor is used to pull a 12kg mass along a level surface from rest. If the motor is on for 10 seconds, what is the maximum speed that the mass can reach?
p=fs which i rearranged to s=p/f so to work out the force i did 12*9.81=117.72, so I put into the equation s=500/117.72=4.25
Have i done this question right?

And also another question on my homework which I'm not too sure about is:
A pendulum bob of mass 200g is raised 10cm above its resting position and allowed to swing freely. Calculate (a) its loss of potential energy in returning to its resting position (b) its maximum speed as it returns to its resting position (c) its speed when it is 5cm above resting position.
(a)
deltaEp=mg*h or W=fs
0.2x9.81=1.962
deltaEp=1.962*0.1=0.1962j

(b)
Ek=1/2mass*speed^2
speed^2=Ek / 1/2mass
speed^2=0.1962/0.1
speed^2=1.962
speed=1.4ms^-1

(c)
deltaEp=1.962*0.05
deltaEp=0.0981J
speed^2=0.0981/0.025
speed=1.98ms^-1

thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A 500w motor is used to pull a 12kg mass along a level surface from rest. If the motor is on for 10 seconds, what is the maximum speed that the mass can reach?
p=fs which i rearranged to s=p/f so to work out the force i did 12*9.81=117.72, so I put into the equation s=500/117.72=4.25
Have i done this question right?
No. The F in P = F*v is the force pushing the object, not the force of gravity. That formula isn't all that useful in this question. Maybe begin with Power = work/time. No friction?

Your calculations for both questions seem to be correct. However, it is always important to double check your units to make sure they are consistent. In the first question, the units for force should be Newtons (N), not kg. So the correct calculation for force would be 12*9.81 = 117.72 N. And in the second question, the units for potential energy should be Joules (J), not Newtons (N). So the correct calculation for potential energy would be 0.2*9.81*0.1 = 0.1962 J. Other than that, your approach and calculations are correct. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the definition of work?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the energy transfer that occurs when an object is moved by a force.

2. How is work calculated?

Work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance that the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W= F*d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the difference between work and power?

Work is a measure of the energy transfer that occurs when an object is moved by a force, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, power is a measure of how quickly work is being done.

4. How is energy related to work and power?

Energy is directly related to work and power. Work is a measure of energy transfer, and power is a measure of how quickly that energy is being transferred. In other words, the more work that is done or the faster the work is done, the more energy is being transferred.

5. What are some real-life examples of work, energy and power?

Some common examples of work, energy and power include lifting weights, pushing a car, and running. Other examples include using a computer, turning on a light bulb, and riding a bike. In each of these scenarios, energy is being transferred and work is being done to achieve a certain result.