Work-Energy: Determining x- and y-components of wind force

In summary, the skier has a Kinetic energy of 68,000 J when he lands, and a Friction force of 1660 Newtons.
annas425

Homework Statement

2m34fq0.png

Homework Equations

Constant acceleration equations: Δx = v,xi *t + 0.5*(a,x)*t^2
Δy = v,yi *t + 0.5*(a,y)*t^2
K = 0.5*m*v^2
U = mgh
W,nonconservative forces = ∫ ∑ F dx
Conservation of Energy: K1 + U1 = K2 + U2
∑F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(Note that in my notation, I denoted a subscript with a comma preceding it)
F,w = wind force
F,wx and F,wy are constant
∑F,x = -F,wx = m*a,x
∑F,x = -F,wx - mg = m*a,y

Δx = v,xi *t + 0.5*(a,x)*t^2 --> x,f = d1*cos(θ)
v,xi = v,a *cos(θ,1) = 27.8 m/s = 83.6*v,xi

Solve for a,x --> a,x = -0.199 m/s^2
-F,wx = m*a,x (Solve for F,wx)

Δy = v,yi *t + 0.5*(a,y)*t^2 (Solve for y,f)

Now I am stuck! Any help would be greatly appreciated…thank you in advance! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Δy = v,yi *t + 0.5*(a,y)*t^2 (Solve for y,f)
You know everything apart from ay, where is the problem?

To write subscripts, you can use [noparse]ay[/noparse] -> ay. Alternatively, you can use LaTeX.

Is this work correct?? Thank you in advance!

x=97.9cos(32)=83.02 m
y=97.9sin(32)=51.88 m
Also resolve Va into its x and y components:
Vx=28cos(7)=27.79 m/s
Vy=28sin(7)=3.412 m/s

Motion in x direction
Let Ax be acceleration in x direction
x=(1/2)(Ax)(t)^2 + (Vx)(t)
83.02=(1/2)Ax(3.02)^2 + (27.79)(3.02)
-.906=(1/2)Ax(3.02)^2
-.20=Ax
F=ma
Wind force in x direction = 80(-.20) = -16 Newtons

Motion in y direction
Let Ay be acceleration in y direction (positive Ay is acceleration down)
y=(1/2)(Ay)(t)^2 + (Vy)(t)
51.88=(1/2)Ay(3.02)^2 + 3.412(3.02)
41.58=(1/2)Ay(3.02)^2
9.12=Ay
Acceleration due to gravity is 9.8
9.8-9.12 = .68 (acceleration up)
Wind force in y direction = 80(.68) = 54 Newtons (blowing up)

(Energy the skier has when he lands)
Vfx will be his landing velocity in the x direction.
Vfy will be his landing velocity in the y direction.

Vfx = (Ax)(t) + Vx = (-.2)(3.02) + 27.79 = 27.2 m/s
Vfy = (Ay)(t) + Vy = (9.12)(3.02) + 3.412 = 31.0 m/s

K = kinetic energy when landing = (1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)(80)(27.2^2+31.0^2)
K = 68,000 J

N = Normal force when landing due to skiers mass = mgcos(32)
f = friction force = (2.5)(80)(9.8)cos(32) = 1660 Newtons

Force due to horizontal component of wind = 16cos(32) = 14 Newtons
Force due to vertical component of wind = 54sin(32) = 29 Newtons

Total force on skier = 1660+14+29 = 1700 Newtons

(Work-energy theorem)
Fz = K + (mgz)sin(32) (The last term is because the skier will continue to acquire energy from the force of gravity as he descends down the slope)
1700*(d2) = 68000 + (80)*(9.8)*(d2)*sin(32)
1700*(d2) = 68000 + 415*(d2)
1285*(d2) = 68000
d2 = 53 meters

I think you are supposed to ignore the wind between B and C (otherwise you would get a different normal force, too).

Total force on skier = 1660+14+29 = 1700 Newtons
The numbers don't fit, and you cannot add horizontal and vertical forces like that.

There are a lot of units missing. I did not check the numbers (that's something a computer can do), but the approach is good.

mfb said:
I think you are supposed to ignore the wind between B and C (otherwise you would get a different normal force, too).

The numbers don't fit, and you cannot add horizontal and vertical forces like that.

There are a lot of units missing. I did not check the numbers (that's something a computer can do), but the approach is good.

The numbers are good, I just checked them! Looking at the prompt again, it says to ignore the b component of the wind force (the component perpendicular to the ramp). So would the sum of the nonconservative forces be (Fw)a + f (the a component of the wind force and the friction force)? (Essentially, the sum of the forces in the a direction--the direction parallel to the ramp)?

Also, is this a correct conversion from x-y to a-b coordinates, given the two relative coordinate systems?

169npg2.jpg

annas425 said:
The numbers are good, I just checked them! Looking at the prompt again, it says to ignore the b component of the wind force (the component perpendicular to the ramp).
Ah, right.
So would the sum of the nonconservative forces be (Fw)a + f (the a component of the wind force and the friction force)? (Essentially, the sum of the forces in the a direction--the direction parallel to the ramp)?
All your forces are conservative here.
Wind just adds another force to consider, noting magical.

The conversion looks fine.

1. What is work-energy and how is it related to wind force?

Work-energy is a concept in physics that describes the relationship between the work done on an object and the resulting change in its kinetic energy. In the context of wind force, it refers to the amount of work done by the wind on an object, which results in a change in the object's kinetic energy.

2. How do you determine the x- and y-components of wind force?

To determine the x- and y-components of wind force, you would need to use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The x-component is the horizontal force exerted by the wind, while the y-component is the vertical force. These components can be calculated by breaking down the wind force vector into its horizontal and vertical components.

3. What factors affect the wind force on an object?

The wind force on an object is affected by several factors such as the speed and direction of the wind, the size and shape of the object, and the surface roughness of the object. These factors can impact the amount of work done by the wind on the object, and thus, the resulting x- and y-components of wind force.

4. Can the x- and y-components of wind force be different for different objects?

Yes, the x- and y-components of wind force can vary for different objects. This is because different objects have different sizes, shapes, and surface roughness, which can affect the way the wind interacts with them. For example, a flat, smooth object will experience different wind forces compared to a curved, rough object.

5. How can knowing the x- and y-components of wind force be useful?

Knowing the x- and y-components of wind force can be useful in many applications, such as in engineering and design. It allows us to understand how the wind will affect different objects and structures and how to design them to withstand wind forces. It is also important for predicting and mitigating the impact of wind on structures, such as buildings, bridges, and airplanes.