1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Energy Method for Rotational Motion

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Reference to part C of the question, I would like to ask for work done U1to2, how come linear motion is not included? I thought both linear and rotational exist since the parcel "move downwards" (linear) and the wheel is rotating (rotational)

Thanks...

Attached Files:

• e1.jpg
      e1.jpg
      File size:
      97.6 KB
      Views:
    • e2.jpg
      e2.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Part C asks for the work on the drum. Why worry about the falling mass? They want you to calculate the work directly.

4. Jul 16, 2012 #3
    Oh ya you are right, sorry didn't read the question clearly :redface:

Just to confirm if they ask me to find the work of frictional force, Fr on the drum and falling mass between position 1 and 2 both linear and rotational will exist correct?

With regards to part c again, To find Torque τ, I know that τ=Tension X Radius so comparing diagram 1 (left) against diagram 2 (right) which i drew a red line to indicate Tension.

How come in the Work Done equation it uses the Frictional Force X Radius and not Tension X radius?

Thanks...

Attached Files:

• c1.jpg
      c1.jpg
      File size:
      12.7 KB
      Views:
    • c2.jpg
      c2.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Jul 16, 2012 #4

Doc Al

If the mass falls and the drum rotates, sure there will be both linear and rotational motion and kinetic energy.
    Realize that those diagrams refer to different problems.
    Part c asks you for the work done by the frictional force, not the tension.

6. Jul 16, 2012 #5
    My lecturer told me that τ = tension X radius this concept on the chapter of Kinetics of rotational motion diagram 1 (left)

But he never mention this on the chapter of Work Energy method for rotational motion diagram 2 (right). However, I thought they have the same meaning since both are τ in both formula.

So are you trying to say U1-2=τ X δ
    The τ in the equation is actually the frictional force?

And can I say that Torque in τ=Iα and U1-2=τ X δ are actually both different thing?

Attached Files:

• ex1.jpg
      ex1.jpg
      File size:
      67 KB
      Views:
    • ex2.jpg
      ex2.jpg
      File size:
      52.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Jul 16, 2012 #6

Doc Al

You can calculate the torque due to any force. If the force is tangential to the wheel, then τ = Force X radius. Depending upon the particular problem, that force can be a tension force or a friction force.
    Right. The torque in that equation is due to the friction force. You are asked to find the work done by the friction force, so you'd use the torque created by that force to calculate the work.
    Yes, those are different things. The first equation is just Newton's 2nd law as applied to rotation; the torque in that formula should really be the net torque: Ʃτ=Iα.

The second equation is an expression for the work done by some torque. In your problem, it's the work done by the frictional force, which is non-conservative work that will decrease the total mechanical energy of the system.

8. Jul 16, 2012 #7
    Thank you sir for the clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook