Work Energy Method for Rotational Motion

In summary, the conversation is discussing questions related to calculating work and torque in rotational motion. The person asking the questions is confused about the use of tension versus frictional force in the equations and their relation to torque. The expert explains that the torque in the equation is due to the friction force and that the two equations are different things. The expert also clarifies that the force in the first equation should be the net torque, while the second equation is an expression for the work done by a specific torque.
freshbox

Homework Statement

Reference to part C of the question, I would like to ask for work done U1to2, how come linear motion is not included? I thought both linear and rotational exist since the parcel "move downwards" (linear) and the wheel is rotating (rotational)
Thanks...

Attachments

• e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 489
  • e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Part C asks for the work on the drum. Why worry about the falling mass? They want you to calculate the work directly.

Oh you you are right, sorry didn't read the question clearly :redface:

Just to confirm if they ask me to find the work of frictional force, Fr on the drum and falling mass between position 1 and 2 both linear and rotational will exist correct?

With regards to part c again, To find Torque τ, I know that τ=Tension X Radius so comparing diagram 1 (left) against diagram 2 (right) which i drew a red line to indicate Tension.

How come in the Work Done equation it uses the Frictional Force X Radius and not Tension X radius?Thanks...

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 510
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 420
freshbox said:
Just to confirm if they ask me to find the work of frictional force, Fr on the drum and falling mass between position 1 and 2 both linear and rotational will exist correct?
If the mass falls and the drum rotates, sure there will be both linear and rotational motion and kinetic energy.
With regards to part c again, To find Torque τ, I know that τ=Tension X Radius so comparing diagram 1 (left) against diagram 2 (right) which i drew a red line to indicate Tension.
Realize that those diagrams refer to different problems.
How come in the Work Done equation it uses the Frictional Force X Radius and not Tension X radius?
Part c asks you for the work done by the frictional force, not the tension.

My lecturer told me that τ = tension X radius this concept on the chapter of Kinetics of rotational motion diagram 1 (left)

But he never mention this on the chapter of Work Energy method for rotational motion diagram 2 (right). However, I thought they have the same meaning since both are τ in both formula.
So are you trying to say U1-2=τ X δ
The τ in the equation is actually the frictional force?

And can I say that Torque in τ=Iα and U1-2=τ X δ are actually both different thing?

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 475
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 538
freshbox said:
My lecturer told me that τ = tension X radius this concept on the chapter of Kinetics of rotational motion diagram 1 (left)

But he never mention this on the chapter of Work Energy method for rotational motion diagram 2 (right). However, I thought they have the same meaning since both are τ in both formula.
You can calculate the torque due to any force. If the force is tangential to the wheel, then τ = Force X radius. Depending upon the particular problem, that force can be a tension force or a friction force.
So are you trying to say U1-2=τ X δ
The τ in the equation is actually the frictional force?
Right. The torque in that equation is due to the friction force. You are asked to find the work done by the friction force, so you'd use the torque created by that force to calculate the work.
And can I say that Torque in τ=Iα and U1-2=τ X δ are actually both different thing?
Yes, those are different things. The first equation is just Newton's 2nd law as applied to rotation; the torque in that formula should really be the net torque: Ʃτ=Iα.

The second equation is an expression for the work done by some torque. In your problem, it's the work done by the frictional force, which is non-conservative work that will decrease the total mechanical energy of the system.

Thank you sir for the clarification.

1. What is the work energy method for rotational motion?

The work energy method for rotational motion is a way to calculate the work done on an object that is rotating. It relates the work done by external forces to the change in rotational kinetic energy of the object.

2. How is the work energy method for rotational motion different from the linear work energy theorem?

The linear work energy theorem relates the work done by external forces to the change in linear kinetic energy of an object, while the work energy method for rotational motion applies specifically to objects that are rotating.

3. Can the work energy method be used for objects rotating about a fixed axis?

Yes, the work energy method can be used for objects rotating about a fixed axis. The axis of rotation is considered the point of application for the external forces, and the perpendicular distance from the axis to the point of application is used in the calculation.

4. What is the relationship between torque and the work energy method for rotational motion?

Torque plays a key role in the work energy method for rotational motion. The torque applied to an object is equal to the rate of change of its angular momentum, which is related to the change in rotational kinetic energy through the work energy method.

5. Can the work energy method be applied to non-conservative forces?

Yes, the work energy method can be applied to non-conservative forces, as long as the work done by these forces is accounted for in the calculation. This includes frictional forces and other non-conservative forces that may act on a rotating object.