Work-Energy Theorem: Determine Distance for 73kg Skier w/ 4.2m/s

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Physicsgeeks1
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 73kg skier coasts up a hill inclined at 9.3 degree's to the horizontal. Friction is negligible. Use work-energy theorem to determine how far along the hill the skier slides before stopping, if the intial speed at the bottom is 4.2m/s


To find the distance I know i need w=Force applied x distance, but I can't find out how to get Force applied? I also just used W=change in EK to find work but is that correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

Physicsgeeks1 said:
To find the distance I know i need w=Force applied x distance, but I can't find out how to get Force applied?
Try drawing a free-body diagram for the skier. What are the forces acting on the skier, and in what direction are they?
I also just used W=change in EK to find work but is that correct?
Yes, that is the idea.