Work-energy theorem, no equations

In summary: From the definition, one of the first conclusions you can draw is that if you apply an external force to an object, the object's kinetic energy will change. In the context of elasticity, this is what is meant by "stretching": as the force is applied, the object begins to move in a new direction, and as a result, the total distance that the object has moved (and the energy that has been used to do this) is greater than the original distance. Based on this, if you were to freeze water inside of an automobile engine block, the pressure would increase inside of the block due to the increase in mass (water is more dense than air). The bulk modulus of
warmfire540
quick question:
I have to write about the work-energy theorem, and I've already defined it, but i need to mention a couple of cases where this theorem is applied in daily life around us..
I dont' quite understand where we would use this theorem in everyday life..
just a few simple ideas to get me started would rock!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi warmfire540! … rock'n'roll! :smile:

Going upstairs? Dragging things? Pulling people's legs? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi warmfire540! … rock'n'roll! :smile:

Going upstairs? Dragging things? Pulling people's legs? :wink:

Well...here is the wikipedia definition:
“According to the work-energy theorem if an external force acts upon an object, causing its kinetic energy to change from Ek1 to Ek2, then the mechanical work (W) is given by:
E=Kf-Ki=1/2mv^2

What exactly does this mean? How is going upstairs an example of of htis theorem applied in daily life around us?

Yeah. A simpler way of stating that would be:

"The net work done on an object is always equal to its change in kinetic energy."

From this, one of the first conclusions you can draw is that if no work is done on an object, then it's kinetic energy won't change.

As for daily life examples, I won't give you full answers, but I'll hint at them.

Hint 1: You're pushing an object initially at rest, you know its mass, you know the constant force with which you're pushing it, and you know over what distance your hand remains in contact with it. Can you see that you can use the work-energy theorem to determine the object's final velocity after you've stopped pushing it, *without* resorting to first calculating the acceleration of the object due to that force?

Hint 2: Say you have a system in which all the forces are conservative* (e.g. a ball thrown straight upwards in a gravitational field). Since the force is conservative, all of the ball's kinetic energy will eventually be converted into gravitational potential energy. Based on this knowledge, can you see that the work-energy theorem (applied to the gravitational force) can determine how high the ball will go, based on its initial velocity? *What it means to say that the gravitational force is conservative is that that even though the force opposes the ball's motion and therefore does negative work, reducing the ball's kinetic energy, the kinetic energy the ball loses is not permanently "lost" (as it would be if the force were friction, which would waste the ball's energy of motion by converting it to heat). Instead, the kinetic energy is converted into gravitational potential energy and is recoverable.

thanks!

Elasticity

HEY DO KNOW HOW TO SOLVE ELASTICITY QUESTIONS?
IF YES PLEASE TRYE THIS ONE i.e. WHEN WATER FREEZES, IT EXPANDS BY ABOUT 9%. WHAT PRESSURE INCREASE WOULD OCCUR INSIDE UR AUTOMBILE ENGINE BLOCK IF THE WATER IN IT FROZE? BULK MODULUS OF ICE IS 2x10^9 N/M^2

any one please!

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that the more work that is done on an object, the more its kinetic energy will increase, and vice versa.

2. How is the work-energy theorem related to forces?

The work-energy theorem is related to forces because work is defined as the product of force and displacement. This means that in order to do work on an object, a force must be applied to it and cause it to move a certain distance.

3. Can the work-energy theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and even oscillatory motion. As long as there is a force acting on an object and causing it to move, the work done can be calculated and related to the change in kinetic energy.

4. Is the work-energy theorem a conservative principle?

Yes, the work-energy theorem is a conservative principle. This means that the total energy of a system (kinetic plus potential energy) remains constant, and no energy is lost or gained in the process of work being done on an object.

5. How is the work-energy theorem used in real-world applications?

The work-energy theorem is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the energy efficiency of machines, designing roller coasters, and understanding the motion of objects in sports like baseball and golf. It is also used in engineering to design and optimize systems for maximum efficiency.