Work needed to move alpha particle

In summary: Is it the electrical work done on the alpha particle? Or is it the work done to move the alpha particle from one side of the square to the midpoint? Once you know that, you'll be able to figure out the answer to the question, but without knowing that, you might not be able to see the problem you're having.
fruitbubbles

Homework Statement

Four electrons are located at the corners of a square 10.0 nm on a side, with an alpha particle at its midpoint.
How much work is needed to move the alpha particle to the midpoint of one of the sides of the square?

Homework Equations

W = PEo-PEf
PE (if several point charges) = qo*k*Σ(q/r)
qo will be the alpha particle (2*(1.6*10-19 C))
, and the other q will be the 4 electrons

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I use the Pytagorean Theorem to find the original distance from each electron to the alpha particle, and I get (.00707 m). Since all four electrons are the same charge and same distance, I multiple 4*(e-/.00707) and then by k and qo, and get a PEo of -2.6*10-25J. To get PEf, I calculate the distance, but this time since it will be in the midpoint of one of the sides of the square, the alpha particle will be .005 m from two of the electrons, and again using the Pythagorean Theorem I calculate that it is 0.0112 m from the other two. I plug all that into the equation for PE to get PEf, which I get as -2.66*10-25 J (awfully close to the original PE, which seems kinda weird). Then I do W = PEo-PEf and get 6*10-27J of work done, but the answer is -6.08*10^-21 J. I'm not really sure where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
fruitbubbles said:
I use the Pytagorean Theorem to find the original distance from each electron to the alpha particle, and I get (.00707 m).
The dimensions are given in nm. 1 nm = 10-9 m.

Doc Al said:
The dimensions are given in nm. 1 nm = 10-9 m.
Oops, my mistake. I see that now I'm getting the right power, but I'm not sure why the answer should be negative when my answer is positive. Is it because since the positive alpha particles is getting closer to two electrons (which attract the positive charges), the PE decreases?

fruitbubbles said:
, but I'm not sure why the answer should be negative when my answer is positive. Is it because since the positive alpha particles is getting closer to two electrons (which attract the positive charges), the PE decreases?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
I don't understand why..just setting up the equation W = PE0-PEf wouldn't just take care of the sign, since we are calculating the work. Like, why does there have to be..further thinking about it after calculating W?

fruitbubbles said:
I don't understand why..just setting up the equation W = PE0-PEf wouldn't just take care of the sign, since we are calculating the work. Like, why does there have to be..further thinking about it after calculating W?
The trouble with just applying equations like that is that you have to remember exactly what the terms stand for. What precisely is W in that equation?

1. What exactly is work needed to move an alpha particle?

The work needed to move an alpha particle refers to the amount of energy required to move the particle from one point to another. This can depend on factors such as the distance between the two points and any forces acting on the particle.

2. How is the work needed to move an alpha particle calculated?

The work needed to move an alpha particle can be calculated using the equation W = Fd, where W is the work, F is the force acting on the particle, and d is the distance the particle is moved.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work needed to move an alpha particle?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). However, in the context of moving an alpha particle, it is often measured in electron volts (eV) due to the small scale of energy involved.

4. Can the work needed to move an alpha particle be negative?

Yes, the work needed to move an alpha particle can be negative if the force acting on the particle is in the opposite direction of the movement. This indicates that the energy is being released rather than being used to move the particle.

5. How does the work needed to move an alpha particle differ from kinetic energy?

The work needed to move an alpha particle is the amount of energy required to move the particle from one point to another, while kinetic energy is the energy that the particle possesses due to its motion. The work needed to move an alpha particle can contribute to its kinetic energy, but they are not the same thing.