Work required to move charged particle traveling in a circle

In summary, the problem is asking how much work is required to move a particle charge q, mass m traveling at constant velocity v in a circle, from r1 to r2. The difference in total energy for the two configurations should give you the energy required to perform the change, hence the work. Beware if the charges have the same sign!
xlava

Homework Statement

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for your time. I just had this problem on a physics exam (that everyone in the class bombed, and I mean everyone, including the best students). I honestly couldn't care less about the grade, but I really want to understand where I went wrong on this one... a picture outlining the problem parameters is attached.

The problem is asking how much work is required to move a particle charge q, mass m traveling at constant velocity v in a circle, from r1 to r2.

Homework Equations

Kinetic Energy = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv2
Electric Potential Energy = [itex]\frac{kQq}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The particle has initial kinetic and potential energy, hence the total energy of the system when the particle is on the r1 line is:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mv02 + [itex]\frac{kQq}{r1}[/itex]

and the final energy of the system at r2 will be:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mvf2 + [itex]\frac{kQq}{r2}[/itex]

So would the work done by an outside force simply be equal to the difference in the total energies of the system? This seems to make sense but I have a feeling that its simpler than this... I am also almost certain that voltage comes into play here, but I'm not quite sure where.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• physics problem help 1.jpg
    physics problem help 1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
The difference in total energy for the two configurations should give you the energy required to perform the change, hence the work.

Beware if the charges have the same sign! It means that some external agency is already holding the particle in orbit, and allowing it to move to a larger orbit will do work on that agency rather than vice-verse.

The voltage (potential) at a location due to the central charge is kQ/r. it already shows up in the potential energy term of your total energy. To wedge it into the kinetic energy portion you can equate the centripetal acceleration with the Coulomb force at a given orbit and find a replacement for ##v^2##.

Yeah I'm an idiot, completely confused myself with voltage equations and stuff.

Its just -kQq/2r (orbital energy), and the difference is what I'm looking for.

Sorry for annoying you guys with this... thanks

1. What is the formula for calculating the work required to move a charged particle traveling in a circle?

The formula for calculating the work required to move a charged particle traveling in a circle is W = qV, where W is the work done, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the potential difference (or voltage) across the distance moved.

2. How does the radius of the circle affect the work required to move the charged particle?

The radius of the circle does not affect the work required to move the charged particle. The work is only dependent on the charge of the particle and the potential difference across the distance moved.

3. Can the work required to move a charged particle in a circle be negative?

Yes, the work required to move a charged particle in a circle can be negative if the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field. In this case, the potential difference is negative and results in a negative work value.

4. How does the speed of the charged particle affect the work required to move it in a circle?

The speed of the charged particle does not affect the work required to move it in a circle. The work is only dependent on the charge of the particle and the potential difference across the distance moved.

5. Is the work required to move a charged particle in a circle affected by the strength of the magnetic field?

No, the work required to move a charged particle in a circle is not affected by the strength of the magnetic field. It is only dependent on the charge of the particle and the potential difference across the distance moved.