Work Word problem - linear equation

In summary: Work-rate can be the rate at which one works, or the rate at which one produces.Man-day is different from work-rate because work-rate is the rate at which one works, while man-day is the amount of work done in a day.Man-day is different from work-rate because work-rate is the rate at which one produces, while man-day is the amount of work done in a day.
paulmdrdo1
Forty men were engaged to finish a work in 90 days.
Afer 60 days, some men stopped working.
The remaining men finished the job at a same rate in 40 more days.
How many men stopped?

this is how far I can get to

let x = number of men remained
40-x = number of men stopped

Please help. thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
How many men stopped?

this is how far I can get to

let x = number of men remained
40-x = number of men stopped

Please help. thanks!

Hi paulmdrdo!

How many man-days in total does it take to finish the work?
How are the man-days actually spent? That should sum up to the total.

working together they are required to do the job in 90 days.

so their rate of work is 1/90 per day. but I don't know how to get their individual rate.
and also what do you mean by "man-day" ? is it a day an individual working alone?
please help.

paulmdrdo said:
working together they are required to do the job in 90 days.

so their rate of work is 1/90 per day. but I don't know how to get their individual rate.
and also what do you mean by "man-day" ? is it a day an individual working alone?
please help.

Yes, a man-day is the work an individual does when working alone.
Since the job takes 90 days with 40 men together, the total number of man-days is $40 \cdot 90 = 3600$.
That means that their individual rate is 1/3600 per day instead of 1/90.

So 40 men working for 60 days complete $40\cdot 60$ man-days.
Summed with the men, that remain working, times 40 days must come out as the total number of man-days.

$40(90)=40(60)+40(40-x)$

x=10 men stopped working.

"man-day" is confusing me. is it a day a single person required to get the job done or is it the work done in a day by a single person? which is which? can you explain more.

sorry bear with me. English is not my mother language. thanks!

Hello, paulmdrdo!

How many men stopped?

Let [tex]x[/tex] = number of men who stopped.

Forty men were expected to do the job in 90 days.
But they worked only 60 days.
So they did only [tex]\tfrac{60}{90} \,=\,\tfrac{2}{3}[/tex] of the job.

In one day, the 40 men could do [tex]\tfrac{1}{90}[/tex] of the job.
In one day, one man could do [tex]\tfrac{1}{3600}[/tex] of the job.
In 40 days, one man could do [tex]\tfrac{40}{3600} \,=\,\tfrac{1}{90}[/tex] of the job.

In 40 days, the remaining [tex]40-x[/tex] men can do [tex]\tfrac{40-x}{90}[/tex] of the job.
But this task was the other [tex]\tfrac{1}{3}[/tex] of the job.

Hence: .[tex]\frac{40-x}{90} \:=\:\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Got it?

paulmdrdo said:
$40(90)=40(60)+40(40-x)$

x=10 men stopped working.

Good!
"man-day" is confusing me. is it a day a single person required to get the job done or is it the work done in a day by a single person? which is which? can you explain more.

sorry bear with me. English is not my mother language. thanks!

A man-day is the work done in a day by a single person.

how is "man-day" different from "work-rate"?

paulmdrdo said:
how is "man-day" different from "work-rate"?

A man-day is the work-rate of one man per day.

Work-rate is a more general term, which does not have to be for one man nor for one day.

1. What is a work word problem?

A work word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the amount of time it takes for a certain number of people working at different rates to complete a task together. It typically involves using a linear equation to represent the relationship between time and work done.

2. How do you solve a work word problem?

To solve a work word problem, you first need to identify the variables involved - the number of workers, their individual rates of work, and the time it takes to complete the task. Then, you can set up a linear equation using these variables and use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the formula for a work word problem?

The formula for a work word problem is W = rt, where W represents the work done, r represents the rate of work, and t represents the time taken. This formula can be used to set up a linear equation to solve the problem.

4. Can you give an example of a work word problem?

Sure! Here's an example: If it takes John 4 hours to mow a lawn and it takes Jane 6 hours to mow the same lawn, how long would it take them to mow the lawn together? Using the formula W = rt, we can set up the equation 1/4 + 1/6 = 1/t, where t represents the time taken for both John and Jane to mow the lawn together. Solving for t, we get t = 12/5 or 2.4 hours, which is the answer to the problem.

5. How can work word problems be applied in real-life situations?

Work word problems can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the time it takes for a group of workers to complete a project, determining the speed at which a team of athletes can finish a race, or even figuring out how long it would take for a group of friends to paint a room together. These types of problems are useful for understanding the relationship between work, time, and rate, and can be applied in many different fields, including engineering, physics, and economics.