Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Workbook guide +problem in Math. Phys.

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    Hey I have a degree robotics and moved to theoretical physics so am still struggling to keep up with the mathematics. I was wondering if there are any good workbooks out there where I can just practice a lot of problems, mainly (special functions: Bessel, Legendre, Laplace, Integral transforms, ODEs PDEs and complex variables)?
    Also some help with the following problem would be helpful:

If a cube of side length a originally at temp. T[itex]_{0}[/itex] is placed in a reservoir at temp. T=0 K, show the subsequent temp. is :

[itex]T(x,t)[/itex] = [itex] T_0 [/itex] [itex] \Sigma_{l,m,n} [/itex] [itex] 64 \over lmn \pi^3[/itex] [itex] sin[ {{l \pi} \over{a}} x][/itex] [itex] sin[ {{m \pi} \over{a}} y][/itex] [itex] sin[ {{n \pi} \over{a}} z][/itex] [itex] e^{-(l^2 + m^2 + n^2)({\pi \over a})^2 \kappa t}[/itex]

where [itex] \kappa [/itex] is the heat conductivity.

Any help or guidance on how to approach the solution would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2
    I'm not really a physics guy, but my initial reaction is to start with the heat equation.

$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}-\frac{\kappa}{\rho c_p}\nabla^2T=0.$$

As an aside, am I the only one here who sees that mess and automatically imagines Steve Irwin yelling "Crikey! Look at the size of that thing!" ? :rofl:

Edit: If you really want to get good at the math, what I've done for practice is stalk the forums and try to answer whatever questions I deem worth answering. It's actually rather effective.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you just looking for a bunch of good problems with some answers to check your work? Many university classes post homework assignments and solutions. Try
    ocw.mit.edu

jason

5. Oct 2, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the tips, yeah answering physics forums seems like a good idea. I tried the solution.. maybe its something like this (attached pdf). but not sure about the subsequent temperature.

Attached Files:

6. Oct 2, 2013 #5
    @jasonRF yes indeed I am just looking to solve a lot of problems to become more fluent in the mathematics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook