1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working Abroad for Electrical Engineering - What to Know?

1. Oct 24, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I graduated from an accredited University in Canada with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering. I maintained Honours with Distinction for the duration of my academic career.

I am interested in working abroad, and branching from Canada. I am not sure where I want to go yet.

Are there specific countries that actually want Engineers from Canada?

I am very ignorant on the subject, but I do have an interest in it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2015 #2
    What kind of electrical engineering are you looking to do? Analog design? Digital design? Broadcast RF? Cellular? Power distribution? Telecommunications?

Each of these fields is different from country to country. Some are more sensitive about it than others...

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3
    As far as my academics were concerned, I specialized in Power and Energy, Devices, Circuits, and Sensors. I have practical experience in microwave engineering, but it was very niche in meta - DRA design.

I would be happy doing analog, power, or high frequency engineering. I am a recent graduate.

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4
    Many large multi-national firms are looking for people who can be trained as a field engineer. Firms such as Siemens, GE, ABB, Honeywell, Rockwell, Fluor, Bechtel, Alcatel, Lockheed and lots of others are always looking for anyone willing to live out of a suitcase.

If you don't know what you want to do yet, and you have few family commitments, talk to these firms and then get to know what they do in the field. There are plenty of opportunities for those willing to travel frequently. I can tell you that the traveling life is not for everyone. Many get in to it for a few years and then get away from it. It can be hard on you mentally and physically.

6. Oct 26, 2015 #5
    Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook