I started PhD abroad, but would like to get a job

In summary, the individual recently started a PhD program in Belgium after resigning from their job in the IT branch in their home country of Turkey. They have limited job experience and are unsure if they can commit to the 4-year program. They are also facing difficulties with mandatory military service and a bad job market in their home country. They are seeking guidance on how to transition into the job market, but the issue of work permits and language barriers may hinder their ability to work in Belgium.
Septim
Greetings,

I recently started a PhD in Belgium after resigning from my current job (IT branch) in my home country, Turkey. It was a global company and I had been working there for around 8 months when I resigned. I realized that what I want is a solid job as soon as possible and now I am in the trial period for my PhD. My PhD is on photonics/optics and apart from the short time I worked at the IT firm back in my country I do not have much job experience.

I am unsure if I can commit to PhD for 4 years and returning to my country is not a nice solution either due to mandatory military service and bad job market. I see that I do not have much motivation to pursue a PhD. I can fill you in with more details about my skillset/background if you inquire. I think there should be starter jobs for people holding an Electrical and Electronics Engineering Master's degree (my bachelor's degree is in physics). I am a fast learner, know a good deal of coding (Python, C/C++, Matlab) and skilled around laboratory.

The thing is I do not know the local language of most of the European countries and there is the work permit issue before I can get a job. I would really appreciate it if you could provide some guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Septim said:
Greetings,

I recently started a PhD in Belgium after resigning from my current job (IT branch) in my home country, Turkey. It was a global company and I had been working there for around 8 months when I resigned. I realized that what I want is a solid job as soon as possible and now I am in the trial period for my PhD. My PhD is on photonics/optics and apart from the short time I worked at the IT firm back in my country I do not have much job experience.

I am unsure if I can commit to PhD for 4 years

Shouldn't this be something you have been sure of and made a definitive decision BEFORE you quit your job and started your PhD program? This is such a major decision to make while you are still unsure!

...and returning to my country is not a nice solution either due to mandatory military service and bad job market. I see that I do not have much motivation to pursue a PhD. I can fill you in with more details about my skillset/background if you inquire. I think there should be starter jobs for people holding an Electrical and Electronics Engineering Master's degree (my bachelor's degree is in physics). I am a fast learner, know a good deal of coding (Python, C/C++, Matlab) and skilled around laboratory.

The thing is I do not know the local language of most of the European countries and there is the work permit issue before I can get a job. I would really appreciate it if you could provide some guidance.

What exactly are you asking for? Guidance to do what, especially since you yourself haven't decided for sure on what you want to do? If a stranger on an internet forum tells you to stay in school and finish your PhD, will you do it?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Shouldn't this be something you have been sure of and made a definitive decision BEFORE you quit your job and started your PhD program? This is such a major decision to make while you are still unsure!
What exactly are you asking for? Guidance to do what, especially since you yourself haven't decided for sure on what you want to do? If a stranger on an internet forum tells you to stay in school and finish your PhD, will you do it?

Zz.

Okay you have valid points, but no need to be that hard on me. Changing country is a big deal and some people do not find what they expect. Guidance might have been wrong to use in that context; what I meant was how to transition into the job market. Some people can provide good suggestions in increasing my presence in the job market and know how/where to present my skills other than Linkedin etc. by experience.

Septim said:
Okay you have valid points, but no need to be that hard on me. Changing country is a big deal and some people do not find what they expect. Guidance might have been wrong to use in that context; what I meant was how to transition into the job market. Some people can provide good suggestions in increasing my presence in the job market and know how/where to present my skills other than Linkedin etc. by experience.

But this doesn't actually help.

So let's be VERY clear first of all. You have DECIDED to quit school, and look for a job there in Belgium! Am I correct?

If this is correct, then the issue of work permit is the first and foremost problem, because there is no point in any of us telling you how to make yourself more employable there IF there is no chance for you to be able to work there in the first place!

What you need is someone who knows how someone like you, with your nationality/citizenship, can get employed in Belgium. You need to find out what the local laws and regulations are about such situation. Since Turkey isn't part of EU, your ability to work there, or in any EU nation, is severely hampered.

I'd say that the issue of not know the customs, language, etc. might be a significant problem as well, but Belgium, and Brussels from what I gathered, is very cosmopolitan and international. I would think that English is sufficient to get by, but someone who knows more about the region can talk about this better than I can.

Zz.

Likes Septim

1. How can I transition from my PhD program abroad to a job?

To transition from your PhD program abroad to a job, you should start networking and making professional connections. Attend conferences and workshops, reach out to alumni from your program, and utilize online platforms like LinkedIn. You can also gain relevant work experience through internships or part-time jobs while still in your PhD program.

2. Will my PhD degree from abroad be recognized by employers?

Yes, your PhD degree from abroad should be recognized by most employers. However, it is important to research and understand the accreditation and recognition of your specific degree program and institution in the country where you are seeking employment.

3. How can I make my PhD experience abroad stand out to potential employers?

You can make your PhD experience abroad stand out by highlighting the unique skills and experiences you gained during your time abroad. This can include cultural competency, language proficiency, international research collaborations, and the ability to adapt and work in diverse environments.

4. What types of jobs can I apply for with a PhD degree from abroad?

With a PhD degree from abroad, you can apply for a wide range of jobs, depending on your field of study and experience. Some common career paths for PhD graduates include research positions in academia or industry, consulting, teaching, and science policy.

5. Are there any specific challenges I may face when seeking a job after completing my PhD abroad?

Some challenges you may face when seeking a job after completing your PhD abroad include cultural and linguistic differences, differences in job application processes and requirements, and potential visa or work permit issues. It is important to research and prepare for these challenges to increase your chances of success.