Working as a NE in the States as a Canadian

  • Thread starter Thread starter Schr0d1ng3r
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    States
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Schr0d1ng3r
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
I am an Engineering Physics (specifically nuclear) student at McMaster University. I was poking around at some postings in the industry and I noticed that a lot of the American job postings say that you need to be a US citizen and have security clearance. What I'm wondering is, does this apply to all NE jobs in the US? Is it not possible to work on a visa or doing contract work as a non-citizen? Does this apply to other countries such as, say, France? Also, how difficult would it be to obtain US citizenship as a Canadian with a NE degree? I don't NEED to work in the US, I'm just trying to get a feel for what my options are. Thanks in advance for any replies!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
as far as I know, the only jobs requiring a security clearance are DoE or Navy jobs. Commercial power jobs (at the plants) require a background check. They're looking for mental stability, not national security. They want to be sure you won't start pushing buttons or turning valves.

There's plenty of people in the industry in the US with green cards (ie, not US citizens).
 
From what I've seen, Westinghouse won't consider if you don't already have a residence permit or student visa etc. Many others seem similar.

I'm an ontarian working in France, and basically you're not going to have any luck here if you have't done a degree from here (which I did after Queen's Eng Phys), (unless if you have tons of experience that they need or some other means (like Brits working for EDF energy being posted to France)).

The visa isn't really an issue an here, especially in such specific technical field.