Working as a NE in the States as a Canadian

• Thread starter Schr0d1ng3r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary, the conversation discussed the requirements for nuclear engineering jobs in the US and other countries. It was mentioned that US citizenship and security clearance may be necessary for certain jobs, but there are also opportunities for non-citizens with green cards. It was also noted that obtaining a work visa may be difficult, particularly in France, and having a degree from the country may be necessary. The conversation also touched on the importance of passing a background check for mental stability in the industry.
Schr0d1ng3r
I am an Engineering Physics (specifically nuclear) student at McMaster University. I was poking around at some postings in the industry and I noticed that a lot of the American job postings say that you need to be a US citizen and have security clearance. What I'm wondering is, does this apply to all NE jobs in the US? Is it not possible to work on a visa or doing contract work as a non-citizen? Does this apply to other countries such as, say, France? Also, how difficult would it be to obtain US citizenship as a Canadian with a NE degree? I don't NEED to work in the US, I'm just trying to get a feel for what my options are. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Engineering news on Phys.org
as far as I know, the only jobs requiring a security clearance are DoE or Navy jobs. Commercial power jobs (at the plants) require a background check. They're looking for mental stability, not national security. They want to be sure you won't start pushing buttons or turning valves.

There's plenty of people in the industry in the US with green cards (ie, not US citizens).

From what I've seen, Westinghouse won't consider if you don't already have a residence permit or student visa etc. Many others seem similar.

I'm an ontarian working in France, and basically you're not going to have any luck here if you have't done a degree from here (which I did after Queen's Eng Phys), (unless if you have tons of experience that they need or some other means (like Brits working for EDF energy being posted to France)).

The visa isn't really an issue an here, especially in such specific technical field.

What is a NE?

A NE stands for Nuclear Engineer, a specialized type of engineer who works with nuclear energy.

What is the difference between working as a NE in Canada and the States?

The main difference is in the regulations and standards that govern nuclear energy in each country. Canada has its own nuclear regulatory agency, while the United States has the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).

Do I need a work visa to work as a NE in the States as a Canadian?

Yes, as a Canadian citizen, you will need a work visa to legally work in the United States. You can apply for a TN (Trade NAFTA) visa, which is specifically for Canadian and Mexican citizens working in certain professions, including nuclear engineering.

What qualifications do I need to work as a NE in the States as a Canadian?

You will need to have a degree in nuclear engineering or a related field, as well as any necessary certifications or licenses required by the NRC or other regulatory agencies. It may also be helpful to have some work experience in the field.

How do I find job opportunities as a NE in the States as a Canadian?

You can start by researching companies and organizations in the nuclear energy industry in the United States and checking their job listings. You can also network with other professionals in the field and attend industry conferences and job fairs. Additionally, some Canadian universities and organizations have partnerships with American companies that can help with job placement.