What is the Remainder When Dividing a Polynomial by x2 - 4x + 3?

• Thread starter Kushal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the polynomial f(x) has a remainder of 2 when divided by (x-1) and a remainder of 4 when divided by (x-3). To find the remainder when f(x) is divided by x2 - 4x + 3, we can use the fact that x2 - 4x + 3 = (x-1)(x-3). However, simply adding the remainders is not a logical solution. Instead, we can set up the equation f(x) = (x-1)p(x) + 2 = (x-3)q(x) + 4 = (x-1)(x-3)s(x) + (ax+b) and use
Kushal

Homework Statement

when the polynomial f(x) is divided by (x-1) the remainder is 2, and when f(x) is divided by (x-3) the remainder is 4. Find the remainder when f(x) is divided by x2 - 4x + 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought of adding the remainders since x2 - 4x + 3 = (x-1)(x-3) but that wouldn't sound very logical...:S

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the degree of the remainder of f(x) divided by x2 - 4x + 3?

ermm well it will be in the form (x + a)

but how do i find a?

While it is true in this case that the remainder is of the form x + a, I think it is usually the case that the remainder is in the form ax + b. How would you find this exactly? Well, consider that f(x) = (x-1)p(x) + 2 = (x-3)q(x) + 4 = (x-1)(x-3)s(x) + (ax+b). What do you get if you plug in f(1) and f(3)?

i would get 2 equations for ax+b.

then i'll be able to solve for a and b simultaneously...:)

i hope this is correct.

thnks

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using only the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It is often written in the form of a sum of terms, where each term contains a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 3x² + 5x + 2, the degree is 2 because the variable x is raised to the power of 2. The degree determines the complexity and behavior of the polynomial.

What is the difference between a monomial, binomial, and trinomial?

A monomial is a polynomial with only one term, such as 3x or 7. A binomial is a polynomial with two terms, such as 2x + 5. A trinomial is a polynomial with three terms, such as x² + 4x + 3. These terms are classified based on the number of terms they contain.

How do you add and subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, you must combine like terms. Like terms are terms that have the same variable raised to the same power. To add or subtract, simply add or subtract the coefficients of the like terms while keeping the variable and its exponent the same. For example, to add 3x² + 5x + 2 and 2x² + 3x - 1, the result would be 5x² + 8x + 1.

What is factoring a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial is the process of breaking it down into smaller factors that can be multiplied together to get the original polynomial. This is useful for simplifying complex expressions and solving equations. The reverse process, where factors are multiplied together to get a polynomial, is called expanding.