Working out velocity for my coursework [Very confusing]

In summary, the user is seeking help with calculating velocity for a coursework assignment and has provided height and distance data. They are concerned that their calculated velocity may be incorrect and are asking for assistance.
Physssics
Hi guys,
This is my first post on this forum and I was hoping you could help me.

I'm in the middle of my coursework and I need help working out velocity, here's the info:

Height (cm) Distance (cm)
2.4 20
3.7 30

Average Time (Sec) Speed (cm/s) Velocity (cm/s)

0.55 36.50 2.17
0.80 37.50 2.69

I have this really bad feeling that the velocity is wrong. Can anyone help me out?
Pleaseee! I'm really counting on you lot!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,Physssics, welcome to PF. It would be beneficial if you could state the problem or experiment more clearly, so we can better see what you are looking for. Please show what formulas you are using and why, and how you are arriving at your answers, after first defining the problem. Use the format provided when you post.

Hello there,

First of all, it's great that you are seeking help for your coursework. It shows that you are determined to understand and excel in your studies.

Now, let's talk about velocity. Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. It is calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time.

In your case, the average speed is calculated correctly as distance divided by time. However, the velocity is not just the speed, it also takes into account the direction of motion. So, in order to calculate velocity, you need to know the direction of motion.

If the direction of motion is not specified, then the velocity will have the same value as the speed. So, in your case, the velocity values seem correct.

But, if you are still unsure, you can double-check your calculations and make sure you have included the units (cm/s) in your answers. Also, make sure to label your values clearly to avoid confusion.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

1. How do I calculate velocity for my coursework?

The formula for velocity is distance divided by time. To calculate velocity, measure the distance traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. Then, divide the distance by the time. The resulting unit will be in meters per second (m/s).

2. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of the object's motion, while instantaneous velocity provides information about the object's velocity at a specific point in time.

3. How does acceleration affect velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. If there is no acceleration, the velocity will remain constant. However, if there is acceleration, the velocity will change. An object with a positive acceleration will increase its velocity, while an object with a negative acceleration will decrease its velocity.

4. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, a car traveling west would have a negative velocity if the positive direction is defined as east.

5. What are some common units for velocity?

The most commonly used units for velocity are meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and miles per hour (mph). Other units include feet per second (ft/s) and centimeters per second (cm/s).