1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working out wind shear in dams & retaining walls

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but you have to first show some work before we can assist. I assume you are familiar with bending and axial stresses?

4. Aug 23, 2007 #3
    wind shear

Why yes I am familiar with bending and axial stresses.

By looking at the efect of the axial load and the load caused by bending seperately and then giving the combined result we can get this.

I believe the first answer to be 0.34 kn/m, the second to be 48kn, the third to be 67.4, 35.6kn/m and the forth to be 31.4kn - 36.2n/mm

Im not sure how to do the working out.

Any help would be great.
    Cheers Pal.

5. Aug 24, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, these problems are similar in that you must calculate both axial and flexural stresses and add them together to get the results, but you must show an attempt at your work. In problem 1, start by calculating the axial stress at the base. What causes the axial stress? What causes the bending stresses? How do you calculate those stresses?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?