1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working out Zero-Point Energy and ration of potential to kinetic for a particle.

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle with mass, m moving in one dimensional potential U=kx^2/2 as in a mass-spring system. The total energy of the particle is

E= (p^2/2m) + (kx^2/2)

Classically, the absolute minimum of the enrgy, E=0 is acheived when p=0 and x=0. In quantum mechanics however, the momentum, p and the co-ordinate x cannot simulataneously have certain valus. Using the heisenberg uncertainty relation:

a)Calculate the minimum possible value of energy, E. This lowest possible energy, which is not zero, is called zero-point energy.
    b)What is the ratio of kinetic to the potential enrgy of the particle in a state of minimal total energy

2. Relevant equations
    Delta x delta p = hbar / 2 <---Hesinberg Uncertainty Principle

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm completely lost, with all the remaining 4 questions of my work which i'm posting.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think that one can be completely lost, never.

If one has no idea, then one usually make a competent guessing, try it.

4. May 19, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

help plzzzz!

:smile: I'm completely lost. :confused:

Which thread am I supposed to be in? :cry:

5. May 19, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: help plzzzz!

You have to provide an attempt to solution :rolleyes:

Please make a new thread if you want to ask a question

6. May 19, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: help plzzzz!

Well, I the last thing I remember is turning left at the Library, and heading towards Special & General Relativity :smile:

after that it's all a blur :redface:

do you think I travelled faster than light? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook