Working out Zero-Point Energy and ration of potential to kinetic for a particle.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Epideme
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider a particle with mass, m moving in one dimensional potential U=kx^2/2 as in a mass-spring system. The total energy of the particle is

E= (p^2/2m) + (kx^2/2)

Classically, the absolute minimum of the energy, E=0 is acheived when p=0 and x=0. In quantum mechanics however, the momentum, p and the co-ordinate x cannot simulataneously have certain valus. Using the Heisenberg uncertainty relation:

a)Calculate the minimum possible value of energy, E. This lowest possible energy, which is not zero, is called zero-point energy.
b)What is the ratio of kinetic to the potential energy of the particle in a state of minimal total energy

Homework Equations


Delta x delta p = hbar / 2 <---Hesinberg Uncertainty Principle

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm completely lost, with all the remaining 4 questions of my work which I'm posting.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that one can be completely lost, never.

If one has no idea, then one usually make a competent guessing, try it.
 
help pleasezzz!

malawi_glenn said:
I don't think that one can be completely lost, never.

:smile: I'm completely lost. :confused:​

Which thread am I supposed to be in? :cry:
 


tiny-tim said:
:smile: I'm completely lost. :confused:​

Which thread am I supposed to be in? :cry:

You have to provide an attempt to solution :rolleyes:

Please make a new thread if you want to ask a question
 


malawi_glenn said:
You have to provide an attempt to solution :rolleyes:

Well, I the last thing I remember is turning left at the Library, and heading towards Special & General Relativity :smile: …

after that it's all a blur :redface: …

do you think I traveled faster than light? :confused: