Working out Zero-Point Energy and ration of potential to kinetic for a particle.

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle with mass moving in one-dimensional potential and the concept of total energy, both classically and in quantum mechanics. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is also mentioned, with questions asking for the minimum possible energy and the ratio of kinetic to potential energy in a state of minimal total energy. The individual also expresses confusion and asks for help.
Epideme

Homework Statement

Consider a particle with mass, m moving in one dimensional potential U=kx^2/2 as in a mass-spring system. The total energy of the particle is

E= (p^2/2m) + (kx^2/2)

Classically, the absolute minimum of the enrgy, E=0 is acheived when p=0 and x=0. In quantum mechanics however, the momentum, p and the co-ordinate x cannot simulataneously have certain valus. Using the Heisenberg uncertainty relation:

a)Calculate the minimum possible value of energy, E. This lowest possible energy, which is not zero, is called zero-point energy.
b)What is the ratio of kinetic to the potential enrgy of the particle in a state of minimal total energy

Homework Equations

Delta x delta p = hbar / 2 <---Hesinberg Uncertainty Principle

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost, with all the remaining 4 questions of my work which I'm posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that one can be completely lost, never.

If one has no idea, then one usually make a competent guessing, try it.

help pleasezzz!

malawi_glenn said:
I don't think that one can be completely lost, never.

:smile: I'm completely lost. :confused:

Which thread am I supposed to be in? :cry:

tiny-tim said:
:smile: I'm completely lost. :confused:

Which thread am I supposed to be in? :cry:

You have to provide an attempt to solution :rolleyes:

Please make a new thread if you want to ask a question

malawi_glenn said:
You have to provide an attempt to solution :rolleyes:

Well, I the last thing I remember is turning left at the Library, and heading towards Special & General Relativity :smile:

after that it's all a blur :redface:

do you think I traveled faster than light? :confused:

1. What is zero-point energy?

Zero-point energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may have. It is the energy that particles possess even at absolute zero temperature.

2. How is zero-point energy calculated?

Zero-point energy can be calculated using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that the product of uncertainty in position and momentum of a particle is always greater than or equal to Planck's constant. This leads to the existence of zero-point energy for all particles.

3. What is the ratio of potential to kinetic energy for a particle?

The ratio of potential to kinetic energy for a particle is dependent on the specific system and the properties of the particle. In general, potential energy represents the stored energy of a system, while kinetic energy represents the energy of motion of a particle.

4. How does zero-point energy affect particle behavior?

Zero-point energy plays a significant role in particle behavior, especially at the quantum level. It leads to fluctuations in position and momentum of particles, known as quantum fluctuations, which can affect the overall behavior of a system.

5. Can zero-point energy be harnessed for practical use?

At this time, zero-point energy has not been successfully harnessed for practical use. While it is a concept that is still being studied and researched, it has not been proven to be a viable source of energy for everyday use.