1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working With 1D Constant Acceleration Kinematics

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    Hello, this is my first post on PhysicsForums. I'm a first year student at the University of Kansas pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Physics and Astronomy (double majoring). The wording on my homework (for Honors General Physics 1) is a little bit strange to me so maybe some of you guys and girls can help me iron it out. Thanks in advance!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Draw a graph of velocity versus time of an object starting with a velocity v0 and increasing speed with a constant acceleration(this is easy and not a problem). We know that v-v0=∫vdt (this is also quite obvious and easy to deduct), so the displacement is the area under the plot you just drew(simple integration). Show that for this case (constant acceleration): vave=1/2(v0+v) - (although I know this is true, I don't exactly know how to "show" it?), and then, by equating this result with the definition of vave and eliminating t(this is ultimately what hangs me up. I have no idea how to eliminate t. I know that the definition of vave) = Δx/Δt but I am not sure how to rid the equation of time), v2=v02+2aΔx

2. Relevant equations
    v2=v02+2aΔx
    vave) = Δx/Δt
    ave=1/2(v0+v)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since this is more of a conceptual approach to understanding this idea, I have very little work done for this specific problem. I have finished the other two problems in the question set though (total of 3 problems).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

s-s0?
    This is just geometry. What shape have you drawn? How would you find its area?
    There seems to be something missing here in the instructions. To eliminate t you need two equations involving t. The other equation you need is the definition of acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted