1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

World's largest guitar - frequency of vibration

1. Apr 7, 2007 #1
    I have a problem on my sheet that is confusing me. The problem states The world's largest guitar, which was built by high school students in Indiana, has strings that are 9.0 long. The fundamental vibration that can be induced on each string has a wavelength equal to twice the string's length. If the wave speed in a string is 9.0 x 10 squared m/s what is the frequency of vibration?

The given is f=50.0 Hz L= 9.0 m

My question is where did they get 50.0 Hz when it's not stated in the problem. Or am I reading the problem wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are given the wavelength and the wave speed. You must calculate the frequency. What relationship ties wave speed to frequency and wavelength?

(I split this off into its own thread.)

4. Apr 7, 2007 #3
    um is it the equation speed= wavelength x frequency

5. Apr 7, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Exactly. That's all there is to it.

6. Apr 7, 2007 #5

Doc Al

starting a new thread

FYI: When you need help with a problem, don't tag your question onto an existing thread--start a new one using the "New Topic" button. (Unless you are working on the exact same problem, of course, or one closely related.)

7. Apr 7, 2007 #6
    ok thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?