Worth it to double major in Math?

In summary, the conversation was about a student considering double majoring in math and nuclear engineering. Some suggested that the math major may not be necessary or useful for a career in nuclear engineering, while others mentioned the benefits of having a strong background in math. The importance of taking a foreign language course was also discussed, with some suggesting it would be useful for a career in science. Overall, it was recommended that the student prioritize their interests and not worry too much about satisfying degree requirements, but also consider the potential impact on their schedule and future plans.
Flat
I just stumbled upon a proposed applied math track (Decision to be made next fall by the department).

Right now I am an Engineering Physics major (with a math minor). The interesting thing is, that all but 3 courses (the two stat classes and a numerical analyisis course) are what I have already planned for my math minor.

The downside is that I would also have to take a few more general courses (mainly 4 quarters of a foriegn language) if I pursue the double major. This would most likely mean not being able to take some of the extra nuclear engineering courses I was planning on.

So in your opinion, would it be worth it to double major in math while sacrificing a few nuclear engineering courses?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, having to take language courses just to get a math major is a waste of time.

Civilized said:
No, having to take language courses just to get a math major is a waste of time.

:uhh: nm that a foreign language is extremely useful?

Flat said:
So in your opinion, would it be worth it to double major in math while sacrificing a few nuclear engineering courses?

Worth it? Probably not if you plan to go on in nuclear physics. I'd think the minor would be sufficient to display you interest/mastery of math (especially if minor requirements are more than required for your major and you take the more difficult classes to get the minor).

This is advice for if you also have no affinity for learning a second language. If you did... that might change things and make the decision process more difficult. I do think foreign languages are probably useful, and wish I had more affinity for them myself.

Civilized said:

ice109 said:
:uhh: nm that a foreign language is extremely useful?

physics girl phd said:
Worth it? Probably not if you plan to go on in nuclear physics. I'd think the minor would be sufficient to display you interest/mastery of math (especially if minor requirements are more than required for your major and you take the more difficult classes to get the minor).

This is advice for if you also have no affinity for learning a second language. If you did... that might change things and make the decision process more difficult. I do think foreign languages are probably useful, and wish I had more affinity for them myself.

Thanks all, this is about what I was leaning towards as well. As Physics Girl correctly guessed, I have no interest in taking any foreign language. I took spanish, french and latin in high school and didn't exactly enjoy it much.

you misunderstood my comment. i was being sarcastic. i was implying that learning a foreign language is extremely useful and hence should not be a reason why you wouldn't do the double

I double majored in physics and math when I was in undergrad, now working on a PhD in particle astrophysics. I would say that as far as preparation for graduate school goes, the math major is pretty worthless. The only advantage it gave me is that I got to skip the course on mathematical methods for physical sciences. All the math you need for physics (and I presume nuclear engineering), you'll learn in your physics classes. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I majored in math, since I enjoyed studying it in undergrad. But career-wise, it's not going to help you out. If you're going to major in math, you should do it because you enjoy it. I doubt it'll help you with physics though.

It depends entirely on your interest, but I would suggest that you take classes that you find appealing without worrying too much about the degree at the end. If you're definitely going into physics, having a degree in math won't help you very much. However, if you have an interest in mathematics, it would be far more rewarding to take a few random classes that you will enjoy than worrying about what satisfies degree requirements.

FLAT, do the double major. Scientists NEED to have a good knowledge of several foreign languages. It is very useful.

If I were you, I'd take the language course whether or not is was required.

I would personally suggest that you learn German, since it is a standard sciencey language.

Viel Gluck!

I'd agree with Pinu that the foreign language course is worth taking regardless of major requirements. As for doing a double major vs a minor, it's not going to matter a lot unless you think you want the option to leave physics and use the math background for something else. The important thing with university is to finish at least one major, complete any core requirements for the degree, and then supplement your educational experience with any other courses that interest you or seem useful that will fit into your schedule without overstretching yourself. Also remember that in your senior year, you may need to take time off for grad school interviews or job interviews or whatever you plan to do after you graduate, so that last semester is often a good time to back off on your credit load to just what's needed to maintain full-time status rather than trying to overload on credits just to squeeze in another major.

1. What are the benefits of double majoring in Math?

Double majoring in Math can provide you with a strong foundation in problem-solving, analytical thinking, and mathematical reasoning. This can be beneficial for a variety of career paths, including research, finance, data analysis, and more. Additionally, having a double major can make you stand out to potential employers, showing them that you have a diverse skill set and can handle a heavy workload.

2. Is it worth the extra time and effort to double major in Math?

It ultimately depends on your personal goals and interests. If you have a passion for both Math and another subject, then it may be worth the extra time and effort. However, if your main goal is to gain employment in a specific field, it may be more beneficial to focus on internships and relevant experience in that field rather than pursuing a double major.

3. How can I manage the workload of a double major in Math?

It is important to have good time management skills and to prioritize your coursework. It may also be helpful to speak with your academic advisor to create a plan that allows you to balance the requirements for both majors. Additionally, seeking help from professors or tutors can make it easier to understand and complete your coursework.

4. Will a double major in Math make me more competitive in the job market?

Having a double major in Math can make you stand out to potential employers, as it shows that you have a strong foundation in a variety of skills. However, it is important to also gain experience and skills through internships, research, or extracurricular activities to make yourself more competitive in the job market.

5. Can I still pursue a double major in Math if I did not have a strong background in math in high school?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a double major in Math even if you did not have a strong background in high school. As long as you are willing to put in the effort and seek help when needed, you can succeed in your coursework. Additionally, many universities offer resources such as tutoring or study groups to help students improve their math skills.