Is it worth getting a double major in CS and CE at my university?

In summary, at my university, you can get a double major in CS and CE with take few extra clases. The major in CE is a bit harder/longer to get, and you have to take Diff Equations(taken already) Electrical Sys I, Electronics Materials as requirement for CE. And as far as CS, you need 24h Electives, Compared to 22h in CE (counting extra clases in CE that are not in CS). Also you have to take System Design and CMOS VLSI Design (but this clases can be elective in the CS program, so they are not really extra clases). So if you are not mistaken, you will have to take two extra classes
SuperMiguel
At my Uni i can get a double major in CS and CE with take few extra clases.

Basically its a bit harder/longer to get the major in CE.

CE:http://www.cse.usf.edu/files/35141300131860cpeFlowchart2009.pdf
CS: http://www.cse.usf.edu/files/86021253722868csFlowchart2009.pdf

I have to take Diff Equations(taken already) Electrical Sys I, Electronics Materials as requirement for CE

And as far as CS i need 24h Electives, Compared to 22h in CE (counting extra clases in CE that are not in CS)

Also i have to take System Design and CMOS VLSI Design (but this clases can be elective in the CS program, so they are not really extra clases)

So if I am not mistaken i will have to take two extra classes, Electrical Sys I, and Electronics Materials to get both majors CS and CE.

I Talked to my advisor and she told me that i won't get both degrees that i would have to pick one, (hence another question... if i go for both Which one do i pick?) but my transcripts will show that i have both majors...

So been said all this is it worth it to get both degrees? or should i just pick one over the other one?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want to do after you get your degree? Are you planning on grad school? What area would you like to study?

MathWarrior said:
What do you want to do after you get your degree? Are you planning on grad school? What area would you like to study?

Yup i would like to to go to grad school.

On what to do after i get my degree... I am not sure... I really like robotics, electronics, but i also like IT,servers,programming, etc

Not sure where the salary CE vs CS, but i guess i won't base my studies on salary but i know its important =)

I think you should choose your bachelors degree in a way that makes sense for your graduate choices. Since you already have computer engineering and computer science experience. You can already pretty much do all the areas you have specified.

The question which do you prefer, hardware or software? Computer science is not necessarily the same as programming, its a field around designing things such as algorithms checking them for complexity etc.

Computer Engineering jobs I would imagine are mostly overseas in places like china... Most computer parts are manufactured their, if it was me I would study computer science. People say programmers are getting outsourced as well, and that is true, but not nearly as bad as electronics. In the end it is entirely up to you

MathWarrior said:
I think you should choose your bachelors degree in a way that makes sense for your graduate choices. Since you already have computer engineering and computer science experience. You can already pretty much do all the areas you have specified.

The question which do you prefer, hardware or software? Computer science is not necessarily the same as programming, its a field around designing things such as algorithms checking them for complexity etc.

Computer Engineering jobs I would imagine are mostly overseas in places like china... Most computer parts are manufactured their, if it was me I would study computer science. People say programmers are getting outsourced as well, and that is true, but not nearly as bad as electronics. In the end it is entirely up to you

SuperMiguel said:
I Talked to my advisor and she told me that i won't get both degrees that i would have to pick one,

This would lead me to believe that you can't get "both" degrees.

Choppy said:
This would lead me to believe that you can't get "both" degrees.

Well she said the florida laws states that i must do an extra 15 credit to get both papers(the actual printed degree) but that my transcripts will show that i have completed the requirements for both majors, so that i "reality" i would have both...

Now i know there are a lot of jobs for computer science in the US, I haven't seem much on Comp Eng...

Are the job markets equal for both majors?

1. Is getting a double major worth the extra time and effort?

It depends on your individual goals and career aspirations. For some fields, having a double major can make you more competitive in the job market. It may also provide a more well-rounded education and the opportunity to explore multiple interests.

2. Will having a double major increase my earning potential?

While it can potentially make you more marketable to employers, there is no guarantee that a double major will directly lead to a higher salary. Other factors such as experience, skills, and job demand also play a role in determining earning potential.

3. Can I choose any two majors for a double major?

It depends on the requirements and policies of your university. Some schools may have restrictions on which majors can be paired for a double major, while others may allow more flexibility. It is important to research and consult with an academic advisor before deciding on a double major.

4. Will a double major be too challenging?

It can be challenging to balance the workload and requirements of two majors, but it ultimately depends on your time management skills and dedication. If you are passionate about both subjects, the extra effort may be worth it in the end.

5. Can I add a double major later on in my college career?

Yes, it is possible to add a double major later on, but it may require taking extra courses and potentially extending your time in college. It is always best to plan ahead and declare a double major early on if possible.