Would a specific change in earth's rate of precession mean no seasons?

In summary: This means that the Earth's axis would always be pointed towards the sun, resulting in a constant path of the sun in the sky throughout the year. In summary, if the Earth's axial precession had a period of one year and matched the direction of its orbit around the sun, there would be no seasons as the Earth's tilt would constantly be pointed towards the sun. However, other factors such as climate and relativity to others may still play a role in defining seasons. Alternatively, having the Earth's axis perpendicular to its orbit around the sun could also eliminate seasons, but this may pose safety concerns due to a change in angular momentum. Ultimately, the concept of seasons may be unnecessary if the Earth's position around the sun no longer affects climate
DocZaius
This is not a homework question. This is the result of trying to think of a way to remove seasons.

Imagine a case where the Earth's axial precession had a period of exactly one year (instead of about 26,000 years) and that such a precession was counter clockwise (matching the direction of the Earth's orbit around the sun). Would it be fair to say that then there would be no seasons?

The image that would result would be one of the Earth's tilted axis of rotation being constantly pointed towards the sun. This would mean that the sun's path in the sky would remain constant for each point on Earth throughout the year.

Let me know if/where I go wrong! Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There would be one season.

A much safer way to get rid of seasons is to have the Earth's axis perpendicular to its path around the sun.

chemisttree said:
There would be one season.

I think this argument is semantic. The definition of a season involves the presence of others. A season is defined by its relativity to others. As such, I think saying there would be no season would be more reasonable than saying there would be one season. Consider Occam's razor. If climate is no longer a function of Earth's position around the sun, why is the concept of a season necessary?

mathman02 said:
A much safer way to get rid of seasons is to have the Earth's axis perpendicular to its path around the sun.

Perhaps this would be a simpler way. How exactly would it be safer? I assume that when mentioning the concept of safety, you are imagining a transition from our current state to the proposed one. In your response, please consider the safety issues related to a transition from a) our current state of tilt and precession to no tilt and no precession (your proposed state) and b) our current state of tilt and precession to same tilt and different precession (my proposed state). Since you are now considering whether one transition is safer than another, please conserve angular momentum in your proposed scenario showing increased safety.

Last edited:
DocZaius said:
I think this argument is semantic. The definition of a season involves the presence of others. A season is defined by its relativity to others. As such, I think saying there would be no season would be more reasonable than saying there would be one season. Consider Occam's razor. If climate is no longer a function of Earth's position around the sun, why is the concept of a season necessary?

Well if you are going to bring semantics into it then I get to say that there will be TWO seasons. One for the northern hemisphere and one for the southern. You can tell the difference by travel.

Isn't semantics wonderful?

Yes, if the period of precession is the same as the period of the Revolution around the Earth.

1. What is precession and how does it affect the Earth's seasons?

Precession is the gradual change in the direction of the Earth's axis of rotation. This affects the Earth's seasons because as the axis shifts, different parts of the Earth receive varying amounts of sunlight, leading to changes in temperature and weather patterns.

2. Can a change in Earth's rate of precession eliminate seasons completely?

No, a change in the Earth's rate of precession cannot completely eliminate seasons. While it can alter the timing and severity of seasons, they will still occur due to other factors such as the tilt of the Earth's axis and its orbit around the sun.

3. How does the rate of precession impact the length of seasons?

The rate of precession can impact the length of seasons by causing them to occur earlier or later in the year. For example, if the Earth's axis precesses more slowly, summer may occur later in the year, resulting in shorter summers and longer winters.

4. Are there any potential consequences of a significant change in Earth's precession rate?

Yes, a significant change in Earth's precession rate could have consequences such as altering precipitation patterns, affecting plant and animal life cycles, and potentially causing shifts in global climate patterns.

5. Is there any evidence of changes in Earth's precession rate in the past and how did it impact the Earth's climate?

There is evidence of changes in Earth's precession rate in the past, such as during the Milankovitch cycles. These changes have been linked to shifts in the Earth's climate, including ice ages and warming periods. However, the exact relationship between precession rate and climate change is still being studied.