Milancovitch cycles and how they relate to seasons

In summary: What do you think we should try? In summary, the three cycles important for determining seasons, extreme temperatures, and length for any given planet in any given orbit as long as it isn't too elliptical are:Orbital precession (this is what causes supermoons(when perigee lines up with a full moon))Axial tilt (this determines the extremes of seasons and whether or not there are seasons)Axial precession (change in axial tilt over thousands of years)
caters
There are 3 cycles important for determining seasons, extreme temperatures, and length for any given planet in any given orbit as long as it isn't too elliptical.

Those are:
  • Orbital precession(this is what causes supermoons(when perigee lines up with a full moon))
  • Axial tilt(this determines the extremes of seasons and whether or not there are seasons)
  • Axial precession(change in axial tilt over thousands of years)
Eccentricity is important but only in the case of the orbit being so elliptical it actually changes zones as it orbits. For example, if eccentricity is close to 1, Summer would correspond to being in the hot zone and would be very short, Winter would correspond to being in the cold zone and would be very long(like maybe hundreds or thousands of years long. Spring and Fall would correspond to being in the habitable zone and have a length in between that of Summer and that of Winter.

But assuming eccentricity is only a factor in that it determines orbital precession and is not so high that the planet is in different zones at different points in its orbit, how would I calculate the orbital precession and the axial precession of any planet around any star where the planet's eccentricity is not too extreme?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The attached excellent paper, which I've cited several times on this forum, looked at exactly that question by simulating the occurrence of Ice Ages with each of these factors turned off. Their conclusion was as follows:

"To understand the relative importance of the three astronomical
parameters in generating the,100-kyr cycles of the North American
ice sheet, we conducted model experiments in which we kept fixed the
eccentricity, obliquity or precession in turn, under a constant CO2
concentration of 220 p.p.m. Results show that the ,100-kyr cycles
persist for fixed obliquity, but not for fixed eccentricity or for fixed
precession (Fig. 3 and Supplementary Fig. 6). These results demon-
strate the essential role of precession and the eccentricity variation for
the,100-kyr cycle. Obliquity is not the driver of the ,100-kyr cycle,
although it helps to amplify the ice-volume changes from glacial states
to interglacial states. In summary, our model results suggest that the
,100-kyr cycle is essentially produced by the eccentricity modulation
of precession amplitude through the changes in summer insolation"

Attachments

• Nature12374_IceAges.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 303
Likes fresh_42 and jim mcnamara
Okay @caters. You got a grade 'A' answer. My suspicion is that you would have trouble implementing what you asked for on that level. So what do you think we should try? Orbits involve some interesting math. How many semesters of calculus have you completed? If you think paper this is for you, go to the bottom of the link and find how to get the full methods for the simulations. Exactly what I believe you asked for.

We are here to help...

I have completed almost 3/4 a semester of calculus(half of the semester was about derivatives and I am about halfway through doing integrals). I haven't done calculus with multiple variables other than implicit differentiation(which is a way to get a 2 variable equation to a 1 variable derivative). I have started studying General Relativity. I know Newtonian Physics very well.

Okay. Let's see what we can do. You realize that I do know what you are good/bad at in programming - python is simple and has wonderful libraries of code that do the heavy lifting.

http://fiftyexamples.readthedocs.io/en/latest/gravity.html

This has python code. If you do not know, python is freely available for Windows and Linux.
So go here: python software foundation - https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/

If you need help setting up and running, just jump over to the programming forum and ask for help.

The code attempts to model the Earth's orbit accounting for external parameters. There are other examples on that site.

1. What are Milancovitch cycles?

Milancovitch cycles are long-term fluctuations in Earth's orbit and axial tilt that occur over thousands of years. These cycles were first proposed by Serbian scientist Milutin Milankovitch in the early 20th century.

2. How do Milancovitch cycles affect the seasons?

The three main Milancovitch cycles - eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession - all play a role in determining the intensity and distribution of solar radiation on Earth, which ultimately affects the seasons. These cycles influence the amount of sunlight that reaches different parts of the globe at different times of the year.

3. What is eccentricity and how does it impact the seasons?

Eccentricity refers to the shape of Earth's orbit around the sun, which is not a perfect circle but rather an ellipse. As the shape of Earth's orbit changes over time, it affects the distance between Earth and the sun, which can impact the amount of solar radiation received and thus the seasons.

4. How does axial tilt affect the seasons?

Earth's axial tilt is responsible for the change in daylight hours and the angle of the sun's rays throughout the year. When Earth's axis is tilted towards the sun, the corresponding hemisphere experiences longer days and more direct sunlight, leading to warmer temperatures and summer in that hemisphere.

5. What is precession and how does it relate to the seasons?

Precession refers to the gradual change in the direction of Earth's axis of rotation. This movement causes the alignment of Earth's axis with the stars to change over time. This can impact the timing and intensity of the seasons, as the angle of Earth's axis influences the amount of solar radiation received by different parts of the globe.