Would-be Astrophysicist would like some help

In summary: If you're looking for college credit, I would recommend trying to get into a professional school or taking college courses while still in high school.
Mahimahi42
Hello,

I'm a 14 year old high school freshman who's looking for a career in astrophysics. The basic questions I'd like answered are:

* What are some universities close to Virginia that offer programs in Astrophysics?
* Are there any scholarships I can look into for financial help?
* What sort of classes should I have completed by the end of high school to look my best for universities?
* Are there any opportunities during the summer for physics related programs in the Virginia area that are relatively affordable? (e.g. no more than $500-$750)

Basic Info:

* I am currently taking Honors Algebra 2/Trig with plans to finish Calculus and Computer Math
* I am currently taking Gifted Earth Science with plans to finish AP Physics
* I am currently taking German 1 with plans to finish up through German 4, and French and Latin 2
* I am currently taking Honors World History 1 with plans to finish AP World History, AP US History, and AP Government
* Also, I will try to get into The Governor's School for Science & Technology in the Programming Strand, which will give me 17-24 college credit for Thomas Nelson Community College or Christopher Newport University if completed successfully.

Thanks, and any and all help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At 14 you should just concentrate on high school. Take the subjects you're interested in and do as well as you can in them. Scholarships (academic ones anyway) are usually based on your high school grades. To know what courses to take, you should visit the websites of universities that you're interested in and look at the prerequisites for each program of study. If you're interested in physics, take all the science and math courses that you can take.

That beind said, I've never really been in favour of "advanced placement" type courses or receiving university credit for work done while in high school because ultimately, you're still taking a high school course taught by a high school teacher rather than a university professor.

Your interests will very likely change.

Thank you for your input. :)

From what I've been told from my conselours, the AP courses in my school system are taught by certified professionals, most of which have taught a university course(s).

1. What qualifications do I need to become an astrophysicist?

To become an astrophysicist, you will typically need a Bachelor's degree in Physics or Astronomy, followed by a Master's degree and a PhD in Astrophysics. Strong mathematical and analytical skills are also essential for this field.

2. What subjects should I focus on in high school to prepare for a career in astrophysics?

In high school, it is important to take courses in physics, mathematics (particularly calculus and trigonometry), and computer science. Additionally, courses in astronomy, chemistry, and biology can also be helpful in building a strong foundation for astrophysics.

3. What kind of research opportunities are available for aspiring astrophysicists?

There are many research opportunities available for astrophysics students at both the undergraduate and graduate level. These can include working with faculty on research projects, participating in internships at observatories or research institutions, and conducting independent research projects.

4. How important is computer programming in astrophysics?

Computer programming is an essential skill for astrophysics, as it is used for data analysis, simulations, and modeling. It is important to have a strong understanding of programming languages such as Python, C++, and Fortran, as well as familiarity with data analysis software such as MATLAB or IDL.

5. What are some career options for astrophysicists?

Astrophysicists can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and private companies. Some common job titles include research scientist, data analyst, professor, and observatory director. Additionally, astrophysicists with strong computer programming skills may also find opportunities in industries such as finance and data science.