1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would I be able to get into grad school for EE with a bachelors in physics

1. Jul 21, 2012 #1
    I'm a sophomore in college. I have just finished all my general education requirements and have been thinking about double majoring in physics and EE but I would much rather focus on just physics for the time being. I would still like to be able to pursue EE after I earn a bachelors in physics. Could I go to grad school for EE with a bachelors in physics? or would I have to go back and earn a second bachelors?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2012 #2
    I know of at least a few grad students in the EE department at my school who only did Physics undergrads. The advantage for you is that EE is a very broad subject area, and even though you haven't learned a lot of the things EE majors learn (like circuit design beyond a very basic level), you can probably find a couple areas of research that you're well qualified for. If you enjoyed/did well in your computational physics classes and are somewhat proficient with a programming language like C/C++ (in the context of using it for calculations), that will probably help quite a bit.

I'd say you've got a pretty good shot at getting in to some form of EE grad school, your options will probably just be more limited than an EE major's.

4. Jul 21, 2012 #3
    I friend of mine did her bachelors in math with a minor in physics and now she's doing her masters in EE, she just needs to take foundation courses like signals, circuits, and electronics to catch up.

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4
    At my school, you can do a double grad getting a Ph.D in Physics with a MS in EE with only a BS in Physics. I'm sure many have done it all over the country.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook