Would I like the world of computational mechanics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Gauss M.D.
Messages
151
Reaction score
1
I'm a first year ME student considering my options.

I'd consider myself fairly far to the theoretical, hands-off side of humankind. I'm better with differential equations than with a wrench, so to speak. This basically leaves me with two realistic options - control systems and computational mechanics.

I had my heart set on control systems for a while, but I'm starting to think that's not really my style either. I get the impression control systems engineering revolves around a lot of circuit/sensor fidgeting, fairly dull mathematics and PID-controllers.

On the other hand, computational mechanics used to seem unbelievably dry and inaccessible. But I think I'm starting to see the appeal, although I'm not 100% certain reality fits my current image of the discipline. I imagine a fairly quiet job involving a good amount of mathematics, programming and simulation. Fluid mechanics, structural dynamics, heat transfer, stuff like that. It also seems as, if you're good, you'd be in pretty high demand by a lot of different businesses.

Am I terribly off? What nasty dissapointments does computational mechanics hold?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss M.D. said:
Am I terribly off? What nasty dissapointments does computational mechanics hold?
Practical, hands-on-the-computer work.