1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would I like the world of computational mechanics

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    I'm a first year ME student considering my options.

I'd consider myself fairly far to the theoretical, hands-off side of humankind. I'm better with differential equations than with a wrench, so to speak. This basically leaves me with two realistic options - control systems and computational mechanics.

I had my heart set on control systems for a while, but I'm starting to think that's not really my style either. I get the impression control systems engineering revolves around a lot of circuit/sensor fidgeting, fairly dull mathematics and PID-controllers.

On the other hand, computational mechanics used to seem unbelievably dry and inaccessible. But I think I'm starting to see the appeal, although I'm not 100% certain reality fits my current image of the discipline. I imagine a fairly quiet job involving a good amount of mathematics, programming and simulation. Fluid mechanics, structural dynamics, heat transfer, stuff like that. It also seems as, if you're good, you'd be in pretty high demand by a lot of different businesses.

Am I terribly off? What nasty dissapointments does computational mechanics hold?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2
    Practical, hands-on-the-computer work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook