Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Would quantum laws work in other hypothetical universes?

1. Dec 27, 2016 #1
    Not saying that there is another universe. But if there were, would the laws be the same?

I've heard Leonard Susskind explain that extraneous solutions of string theory could represent the environment in regions very far "away".

So is it just small things like the physical constants being adjusted? Surely the laws cannot be different. For example, string theory depends on QFT which depends on QM. So it would be contractdictory to say that the laws are different in another universe using the very same principles that already exist in our universe.

I mean, sure the quantum laws might behave slightly differently, but the idea of quantum law would still have to exist there, since we indirectly depended on QM to even posit other universes.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2016 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

One can posit other universes without ever invoking QM. But, being other universes, they would be inaccessible to experiment from ours and not proper subject matter for discussion in these forums.

4. Dec 27, 2016 #3
    What I mean by other universes are the ones that are posited based on scientific theory, but that are not observable. Not just random inventions from the mind like fiction.

Superstrings are not observable and hence haven't been proven to exist, but physicists still talk about them.

5. Dec 27, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Anything that is not observable by definition is not part of a scientific theory and therefore not an appropriate fit for a science forum.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook