1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would this class be useful for an EE? Advanced Engineering Calc.

1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    I've been told that usually Mech Eng's or Aerospace Eng's take this class, haven't heard much for EE's but it definitely sounds interesting.

Advanced Engineering Calculus - Extends the treatment of engineering mathematics beyond the topics covered in Calculus 3 and differential equations. Topics include non-dimensionalization, elementary asymptotics and perturbation theory, Reynold's transport theorem and extensions of Leibnitz's rule, as applied to continuum conservation equations, Hamiltonian formulations, Legendre and Laplace transforms, special functions and their orthogonality properties.

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2012 #2
    Unfortunately, I can't find any old class pages or books that use/will be using. From some searches I've found that it seems like a fluid mechanics class, which I have no experience with. Most of the math though looks similar to E&M math, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

4. Aug 3, 2012 #3
    Seems useful to me. It'd be hard to have enough applied maths courses. Pertubation theory appears in many areas, if you get into the quantum side things it would be quite useful there. Hamiltonian stuff is useful for quantum too, and Laplace, special functions and Sturm-Liouville theory is always good. Go for it I say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook