Can't decide between a couple classes for Fall, EE major dilemma

In summary, there are three classes that can be interchanged in the coming semester: Data Structures, Discrete Math, and Advanced Engineering Calc. The Data Structures class covers data abstractions and representation techniques, while Discrete Math focuses on logic, proof techniques, algorithms, complexity, relations, and graph theory. Advanced Engineering Calc covers topics beyond Calculus 3 and differential equations, including non-dimensionalization, elementary asymptotics, and perturbation theory. The speaker is unsure which class to choose and is seeking advice, but notes that none of the classes are required for their major. They are particularly interested in the Advanced Calc class but have not had time to research it. The speaker recommends choosing the Calculus class and possibly Data Structures, and suggests
DrummingAtom
With this coming semester I have some interesting options for my schedule. The following 3 classes can be interchanged within my schedule:

Data Structures - Studies data abstractions (e.g., stacks, queues, lists, trees) and their representation techniques (e.g., linking, arrays). Introduces concepts used in algorithm design and analysis including criteria for selecting data structures to fit their applications.

Discrete Math - Emphasizes elements of discrete mathematics appropriate for computer engineering. Topics: Logic, proof techniques, algorithms, complexity, relations, and graph theory.

Advanced Engineering Calc - Extends the treatment of engineering mathematics beyond the topics covered in Calculus 3 and differential equations. Topics include non-dimensionalization, elementary asymptotics and perturbation theory, Reynold's transport theorem and extensions of Leibnitz's rule, as applied to continuum conservation equations, Hamiltonian formulations, Legendre and Laplace transforms, special functions and their orthogonality properties.

I can take either one or two but not all 3; I have no clue on how to make this decision. I'm definitely curious about the Advanced Calc class but haven't had any time to look into those topics and there's no class pages or book references for it up yet. None of these courses are required for my major so I can kinda have fun with them if I choose to but I also want something important and relevant to my major. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey DrummingAtom.

Is the Discrete Math course a first year one or one with little pre-requisites? If so, I recommend not doing this one and doing the other two.

The calculus one sounds like it would be incredibly useful for an engineer and if you are an EE you really need to know the integral transforms and especially decompositions that are orthgonal.

Basically modern mathematics is built on using integral transforms as a way of not only decomposing "stuff" with an orthogonal basis, but also constructing different kinds of bases.

Data structures is pretty self-explanatory and definitely a lot more important than the discrete math.

If you want to learn some of the stuff in discrete math, what till you have done a little bit of math in any of your classes and then just pick it up and give it a read: if you have done a bit of programming and done a lot of problem solving, it will come a lot clearer.

The programming is a different kind of mindset: it's not quite the same as mathematics and if you haven't had much experience with it, you would benefit from a class on it. You'll no doubt have to do some programming in EE and knowing data structures (even the abstract kind that you may not use in an embedded or microcontroller environment) are still helpful, even for the cases where you can't afford to use large classes with a lot of memory: case in point, there are now implementations in C for certain embedded and small architectures which have these defined for you so the idea of having to do everything in assembler or even an absolute bare-bones C environment is not quite the case and you will be able to use the stuff you learned pretty much right away.

1. Should I prioritize my interests or my major requirements when choosing classes for Fall?

In general, it is important to strike a balance between your interests and your major requirements when selecting classes for a given semester. While it can be tempting to only take classes that align with your interests, it is important to make sure you are also fulfilling the necessary requirements for your major. Consider speaking with an academic advisor for guidance on finding the right balance for your particular situation.

2. How do I know which class will benefit me more in the long run?

When deciding between two classes, it can be helpful to consider your long-term goals and how each class may contribute to them. For example, if you are considering taking a class outside of your major, think about how it may complement your skill set or provide a unique perspective. Additionally, researching the syllabus and speaking with past students of the classes may give you a better idea of which one will be more beneficial in the long run.

3. What if I am equally interested in both classes and they both fulfill major requirements?

In this situation, it may be helpful to consider any additional factors that may sway your decision. For example, if one class is only offered in the Fall and the other is offered in both the Fall and Spring, it may make more sense to take the class that is only offered in the Fall. Additionally, consider any prerequisites for each class and which one may be more manageable in terms of workload.

4. Can I take both classes at the same time?

While it is possible to take both classes at the same time, it is important to carefully consider the workload and time commitment that each class may require. If you are concerned about being overwhelmed, it may be best to choose one class for the Fall and save the other for a future semester.

5. What if I end up not liking the class I choose?

If you find that you are not enjoying a class, it is important to communicate with your academic advisor and explore your options. Depending on the timing, you may be able to switch into a different class or drop the class altogether. However, it is always a good idea to have a backup plan in case this situation arises.