Would turning a pump on and off repeatedly damage it?

In summary, a pump that can deliver both continuous and pulsed flow is needed. The pump should have a solenoid valve system to turn the power on and off.
rwooduk
Hi, I need a liquid pump that can deliver BOTH smooth flow and pulsed flow, I've looked at:

Normal liquid pumps
Metering pumps
peristaltic pumps
Liquid respiration pumps
Centrifugal blood pumps

The latter two provide pulsed flow, but I'm struggling to find a pump that can deliver both continuous (0 - ~800mL/min) AND pulsed flow.

So what if I somehow attach a continuous flow pump to a square wave power output? Or have a timer or something that turns it on for say 10 seconds then cuts the power for 2 seconds and then turns the power back on again?

I could use a basic liquid pump, but it's likely we will be working with something like this:

https://www.coleparmer.co.uk/i/mn/7316033

My question is, would flicking power on and off damage the electronics of the pump? And the plug will just plug straight into the mains, how would I get a square wave to power the pump?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Solenoid valves .

Likes rwooduk
Nidum said:
Solenoid valves .

I did not know the name, thanks!

Yep, to accomplish what you want to do start with a pump that can deliver smooth delivery and use a control system of valves to achieve the pulsed flow. A centrifugal would work well but it does have a high shear rate. Multiple positive displacement elements can produce a pretty smooth flow without too much shear. Look at rotating lobe pumps, for example.

Likes rwooduk
rwooduk said:
My question is, would flicking power on and off damage the electronics of the pump? And the plug will just plug straight into the mains, how would I get a square wave to power the pump?
Usually, when electronics are turned on and off, the current spikes so there is a momentary stress on the electronics. If one, 'flickers' the power, I would imagine there is some thermal or mechanical fatigue. Mechanical fatigue of pump bearings and shaft are also a concern.

Likes rwooduk
Thanks again!

1. What is the potential damage to a pump by repeatedly turning it on and off?

Repeatedly turning a pump on and off can cause physical wear and tear on the pump components, leading to premature failure.

2. Can turning a pump on and off frequently affect its efficiency?

Yes, frequent on and off cycles can decrease a pump's efficiency as it requires more energy to start up each time. This can also lead to increased energy costs.

3. Is there a specific number of times a pump can be turned on and off before it becomes damaged?

There is no specific number as it depends on the type and quality of the pump, as well as the frequency and duration of on and off cycles.

4. How can I prevent damage to my pump from repeated on and off cycles?

One way to prevent damage is by using a pump control system that regulates the start and stop cycles to reduce wear and tear. Regular maintenance and proper usage can also help prolong the lifespan of the pump.

5. What are the signs that a pump has been damaged by frequent on and off cycles?

Some signs of pump damage include unusual noises, decreased efficiency, and increased energy consumption. If you suspect your pump has been damaged, it is best to have it inspected by a professional.