Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would turning a pump on and off repeatedly damage it?

1. Jan 19, 2017 #1
    Hi, I need a liquid pump that can deliver BOTH smooth flow and pulsed flow, I've looked at:

Normal liquid pumps
    Metering pumps
    peristaltic pumps
    Liquid respiration pumps
    Centrifugal blood pumps

The latter two provide pulsed flow, but I'm struggling to find a pump that can deliver both continuous (0 - ~800mL/min) AND pulsed flow.

So what if I somehow attach a continuous flow pump to a square wave power output? Or have a timer or something that turns it on for say 10 seconds then cuts the power for 2 seconds and then turns the power back on again?

I could use a basic liquid pump, but it's likely we will be working with something like this:

https://www.coleparmer.co.uk/i/mn/7316033

My question is, would flicking power on and off damage the electronics of the pump? And the plug will just plug straight into the mains, how would I get a square wave to power the pump?

Thanks for any advice on this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Solenoid valves .

4. Jan 19, 2017 #3
    I did not know the name, thanks!

5. Jan 21, 2017 #4
    Yep, to accomplish what you want to do start with a pump that can deliver smooth delivery and use a control system of valves to achieve the pulsed flow. A centrifugal would work well but it does have a high shear rate. Multiple positive displacement elements can produce a pretty smooth flow without too much shear. Look at rotating lobe pumps, for example.

6. Jan 21, 2017 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Usually, when electronics are turned on and off, the current spikes so there is a momentary stress on the electronics. If one, 'flickers' the power, I would imagine there is some thermal or mechanical fatigue. Mechanical fatigue of pump bearings and shaft are also a concern.

7. Feb 7, 2017 #6
    Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted