Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would you bail your daughter's boyfriend out of jail?

1. Of course, I adopt boyfriends like stray animals.

5.9%
  2. It depends. It might be a reasonable thing to do.

58.8%
  3. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - oh, my side hurts!

32.4%
  4. Ha ha ha ha ha - that's just too funny for only 1 vote!

35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. May 25, 2006 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting questions a parent never thinks they'll be asked:

Would you bail your daughter's boyfriend out of jail?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2006 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had to answer that it depends (surprisingly enough).

Then again, that answer is at least partially motivated by how things worked out when I bailed my dog out of jail.

4. May 25, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It depends on the circumstances. If fact if either my son or daughter was arrested, whether or not I bail them out depends on the situation and the intent.

If I got myself in trouble, I did not expect my parents to bail me out. The one time I was arrested, I simply called my parents to tell them that I would not be home for supper. I simply expected to handle it myself.

5. May 25, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

As we get along with each other yes i would, even if we did not i would for
    my daughters sake.

6. May 25, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The one time you got arrested?!?!?! Holy moley! Astro's got a record!

I would have to say the depends, not only on the conditions surrounding the arrest, but also it would depend heavily on whether I liked the kid.

7. May 25, 2006 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"I won't be home for supper." I like that answer. I need to teach my kids that that's what they should do if they wind up in jail. :rofl:

8. May 25, 2006 #7

Evo

It would depend on the circumstances. If it was apparent that he was violent, no. But then my daughter wouldnt be dating anyone that was.

9. May 25, 2006 #8
    trick question- my daughter's too young to have a boyfriend, so I'd likely have been the one to have him thrown in jail, so I picked HA HA HA HA HA HA HA and HAH.

I might bail him out if he agreed to leave the state......

10. May 25, 2006 #9
    I voted HA HA HA HA HA HA..............

hellllllllll no. :rofl:

How about his parents cough up the money. I'm not a banker.

11. May 25, 2006 #10
    Yup. And I would be there to greet him as he left the police station. And I would join the search party when it forms in the next few days.

12. May 25, 2006 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is an advantage to at least consider bailing him out, especially if you go through a bail bond company (assuming your daughter or her boyfriend is paying the non-refundable part). As the person responsible for the debt if he doesn't show, the bail bondsman and you have the right to see the details on the charges in order to assess whether he's worth the risk (this is probably information available even without a bail bondsman, but I'm certainly no expert on how these things work). For a small bail (around $500), the risk is sometimes worth the information. In fact, you get the information for free before you even have to assume the risk.

In this case, the info paints a sad story. A traffic ticket for expired tags, but the car's a beater that probably won't pass the emission test needed to renew the registration (Geez, the test's only $10! You could at least find out! Maybe you would have gotten lucky.) The best option is to buy a better car real soon. But not fast enough to keep from getting stopped again for expired tags, except now the insurance has expired as well, and he's done nothing about the first ticket yet. With no insurance, your license is suspended until you get insurance and pay a fine. Now he really needs to hurry up and get a usable car, except what does he do about buying a car, getting insurance, and registering it when he doesn't have a license? All tough stuff to figure out, especially if you just ponder the issue instead of asking. In the meantime, he gets pulled over again for the expired tags, but now has no driver's license in additon to no insurance. And he still hasn't done anything about the first or second ticket.

Finally, he makes a good decision. Maybe he should sell the car for whatever he can get and do without a car until he can resolve all these issues (this is about the point where my daughter met him). No more problems. He hasn't actually done anything about these tickets, but no one hunts down someone for traffic violations, especially the kind he has.

In the meantime, he can use the bus or, if he's in a real bind, he can borrow a car from a friend (preferably one that has current tags and insurance). All is well for a long time. This hasn't worked out all that bad. Well, at least until someone does something dumb and he winds up involved in a minor traffic accident in a borrowed car. All routine since the car has current registration and insurance. Right up until all the paperwork's filled out and only one problem remains: the check on his license finally comes back and he receives the shock of his life. The accident isn't even his fault, but he's put in handcuffs, searched on the hood of a car, and taken off to jail.

For traffic violations??!! :surprised No, you moron! You're going to jail for failure to appear at three separate court dates! That's a whole different issue than traffic violations.

13. May 25, 2006 #12
    I would guess a few nights in jail would help him sort things out. Maybe he will get the idea that he won't want to go back.

14. May 25, 2006 #13

Astronuc

I don't think I have a record. The charges were dropped for lack of evidence.

I was with a friend who picked up a package (box) for a mutual acquaintance. The package was waiting at a UPS office near my friend's work place. We signed for the package, put it in his car and were about to get into his car when another car came skidding to a stop behind his car blocking it. Then two plain clothes narcotics officers jumped up pointing their guns at us. :biggrin:

I had left my ID in my car, so I didn't have any ID, and they thought the package was mine - i.e. they thought the person on the package was me.

So we took a trip downtown to the city jail, got checked in and then discovered that package contained a kg of illicit substances. :rolleyes:

After I called my father, he called a judge we knew, and he checked into the case. Based on the explanation by the police, the judge told them they didn't have a case and we were released at 0200, after 8 hrs in jail. It really does matter who you know.

15. May 25, 2006 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is yet another reason why I try to ride a bicycle as much as possible, and leave my car at home. I hate automobile manufacturers. I hate thier marketing companies. I hate oil companies. I hate the DMV. I hate the highway patrol. I hate virtually all police officers. I hate traffic. I hate smog. I hate all of it. The penalties for stupid paperwork violations for a stupid car can involve thousands of dollars and days in jail. Give me break! It's all just an enormous scam... a revenue generator. I opt out of it as much as possible.

- Warren

16. May 25, 2006 #15
    Chroot, my dear friend...i can only agree with you

SAME HERE

marlon

17. May 25, 2006 #16

Astronuc

1. I'd leave him in jail for at least one night - to let him think it over. He is showing poor judgement and disregard for the law!

2. If it was my daughter, I would say "No way in H@!! are you going to marry this idiot! Think about how irresponsible this moron is - and that's what he'd be like as a husband." :grumpy:

18. May 25, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Depends on the circumstances

19. May 26, 2006 #18

Mk

Depends. On if he was my son or not.

20. May 26, 2006 #19

wolram

Gold Member

But Astro some times guys like this can turn out ok, i would still bail him out
    but i would make it clear to him that this is his one and only get of jail free card, and i would tell my daughter the same, from then on it would be her judgment if she stays with him, some times steping between two people can
    cause a family split.

21. May 26, 2006 #20
    When I have kids, and If i have a daughter, she will not be allowed to have boyfriends, so no I wouldnt bail him out :) hehe

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?