Would you be able to add to this list of known objects

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Logical Dog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    List
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
Logical Dog
Messages
362
Reaction score
97
So I was reading a book that warned me about mathematical objects and how they can be confused and muddled up for something else while being an entirely different thing..So, As far as I know these are distinct mathematical objects (which I think I know).

Is it a valid list and what are some that you may be able to add or correct?

1. Point.
2. Line.
3. Geometrical Shape
4. Proposition
5. Axiom,
6.Number
7.Set.
8. Element
9. Vector
10. Matrix
11. Function
12. Derivative (?)
13. Integral (?)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
A Boolean value (true or false).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Logical Dog
Bipolar Demon said:
So I was reading a book that warned me about mathematical objects and how they can be confused and muddled up for something else while being an entirely different thing..So, As far as I know these are distinct mathematical objects (which I think I know).

Is it a valid list and what are some that you may be able to add or correct?

1. Point.
2. Line.
3. Geometrical Shape
4. Proposition
5. Axiom,
6.Number
7.Set.
8. Element
9. Vector
10. Matrix
11. Function
12. Derivative (?)
13. Integral (?)

This list could probably be extended by at least some dozens of terms. The same is true for physics and likely many other sciences.
In addition it might depend on the language: something confusing in one language doesn't have to be confusing in another. E.g. integral domain is "integrity domain" in mine. That's why all used scientific terms are defined, before being used. Ordinary language is simply more restrictive than the range of scientific objects are, in the sense that it is ambiguous. This is already true by the normal usage without referring to science.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Logical Dog
Sometimes those words can be a burden: Just deleted a SPAM mail starting with "Save a bundle ..." and I was automatically thinking, why should I want to save a bundle ...