1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would you Hear a Stars Nuclear reactions if you were close to it?

1. Feb 24, 2012 #1
    Would you "Hear" a Stars Nuclear reactions if you were close to it?

Hey all,
    This is more of a thought problem, but last night I was wondering about what it would be like to see a star up close (relatively speaking). Since stars are essentially a massive nuclear chain reaction you would think it would be a fairly noisy process. However while picturing this I realized sound cannot travel through a media-less vacuum like space.
    So if you where sitting very close to a Star (excluding the fact radiation, heat, ect, would kill you) would it be completely silent, even with all of the massive reactions going on inside? Or in order for it to produce sound would you have to be inside the gas shell (gas as the medium for sound) in order to hear anything?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: Would you "Hear" a Stars Nuclear reactions if you were close to it?

As you approach a star the density of the surrounding space starts at very very low, much lower than Earth's atmosphere, but starts to increase. If you were to be inside the stars atmosphere where the pressure is equal to 1 stp I would expect you to hear a great many things. Unfortunately I don't know if you could "hear" the nuclear reactions, as they happen so fast and in such great numbers that it wouldn't be a distinct sound. Plus you're talking about sound traveling through 300,000 km of very dense, multi-layered plasma. My guess is that you would hear random sounds that are generated by various means within the Suns outer layers, not the reactions themselves.

4. Feb 25, 2012 #3
    Re: Would you "Hear" a Stars Nuclear reactions if you were close to it?

I see I should have worded it better. I was saying nuclear reactions because that what causes all the energy, but i really just meant would the star itself make any noise, nuclear reactions was just a lazy way of putting thank you though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook