1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Would you need some background before calculus physics?

1. May 8, 2016 #1
    Let's say this person has no background in the subject whatsoever; he has not taken a single physics class in his entire life. How would he fare in calculus-based physics, in your opinion? I'm sure I've already made this topic, and asked this question before, but I can't seem to find it on this site using the search function.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Is this person you?

4. May 8, 2016 #3
    Yes.

5. May 8, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How is your calculus?

6. May 8, 2016 #5
    I just finished II.

7. May 8, 2016 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That doesn't answer my question. You can finish calculus II and not understand any of it.

8. May 8, 2016 #7
    Sorry. I'm fairly proficient in calculus; I was great in I, and am skillful in II, with the exception of series and using the proper vocabulary (series vs. sequences) to describe the behaviors of the infinite series, as well as sequences, my teacher has tested us on. I can get series and sequences mixed up pretty easily; other than that, though, I was pretty good in Calculus II this semester. Much better, I think, than how I did last fall with Calculus I. Overall, I think I understand everything pretty well.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  9. May 8, 2016 #8
  10. May 9, 2016 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You would do fine in Physics 1 (Calculus-based Physics, beginning of the series for science & engineering majors), as long as you are good through Intermediate Algebra and have strong basic Trigonometry skill and knowledge. You may still STRUGGLE to learn, but you have a good chance of doing well.

(small one-word edit)

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  11. May 9, 2016 #10
    Thank you for your input, symboli.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted