1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write chemical equations for the action

1. Dec 26, 2006 #1
    Hi guys, I need your help:

A white solid V is heated strongly. At a high temperature, V gives off carbon dioxide and changes to a solid W that begins to glow.

When water is added to W, it begins to fizz, produces heat and crumbles to a powder X.

X dissolves in water to form an alkaline solution Y.

When carbon dioxide is passed into solution Y, the solution turns cloudy. The cloudiness is caused by a white suspension Z and its formation is used as a test for carbon dioxide.

(a) Deduce the identity of V, W, X, Y and Z, giving either their chemical or common names.

(b) Write chemical equations for the action of:

(i) heat on V,

(ii) carbon dioxide on solution Y.

(c) State a use for either W or X.

Please help me solve this 2 problems, I really don't know how to do. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2006 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

IF this is a homework question, you should at least put down some of your thoughts before we can help you. For part (a) think of the tests for common chemicals.

4. Dec 26, 2006 #3
    I can't cos I really don't understand the whole question. I am blur and confused with the whole question.

5. Dec 26, 2006 #4
    Wait...I look thru the question again...

6. Dec 26, 2006 #5
    Since V gives off carbon dioxide, it should be a carbonate.

V is a white solid, so it should be aluminium, calcium, lead or zinc.

X dissolves in water, it must be soluble in water so it should consists of nitrate, chloride or sulphate salts.

That's all I know.

7. Dec 26, 2006 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, I'll give you a hint. To test for CO2 we normally add Y to the CO2. This will form Z (the reason for the solution becoming cloudy). The common name for Y is limewater. If you can find the chemical name for Y, and hence Z, you are on the right track.

8. Dec 26, 2006 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good
    Think again about this. Following my above hint, X when dissolved in water, produces Y, limewater. If you find the chemical name for this, then you will be able to work out X, V and W. Z can be found by the formula limewater+CO2->...

9. Dec 26, 2006 #8
    I know! Z should be calcium carbonate, right?

For V, X and W, I still can't work out...

10. Dec 26, 2006 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Correct

I'm not sure how many more hints I can give. Let's recap some of the things you said.

Which carbonate do you think it is? (NB: there's nothing in the question to say that V, W, X, Y & Z are distinct)

Now, V decomposes into CO2 and W. If you find V, then a simple equation will give the form of W. When water is added to W, a solid X is produced, which then dissolves in water to form Y, limewater (or Ca(OH)2 (aq))

11. Dec 27, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cristo, you've been incredibly patient to this point, and it's good to see fly_high showing effort as well. I'd like to stress however, that really, the ONLY good way to proceed with questions like this is by writing the equations at every point that a species is identified. Else, the whole exercise becomes a disconnected mess of ideas.

So, to fly_high: first, write down the equation that describes the formation of a cloudy suspension in limewater upon bubbling CO2 through it.

12. Dec 27, 2006 #11
    I have worked out the answer, but I am unsure whether it is correct....

V: KCO3 (potassium carbonate)

W: K (potassium)

X: KOH (potassium hydroxide)

Y: Calcium

Z: Calcium carbonate

13. Dec 28, 2006 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you dissolve KOH in water and get a solution of Ca? Is it even possible to have a solution of Ca in water?

Z is correct. Start from there. Write down the equation for the formation of calcium carbonate. You can even look up this equation simply by Googling "calcium carbonate carbon dioxide white suspension."

This will, however, only get you through this particular problem. You'll only run into more trouble unless you learn the fundamental concepts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?