Calculating Mass % of H2CO3 from Reaction Equation

In summary, the equation states that when CaCO3 and H2SO4 are combined, CaSO4 and H2O are produced. The mass of CO2 in the solution is determined by the mass of H2SO4 and the percent of CO2 in the solution.
mmmeraki
Hi! I got a question. I have been given the reaction of the equation and no other data. I have to calculate the mass percentage of H2CO3. The gas dissolves in water.

1. Homework Statement

CaCO3 + H2SO4 = CaSO4 + H2O(l) + CO2(g)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 mol 1 mol 1 mol 1 mol 1 mol
m (CO2) = 1 mol * 44g/mol = 44 g
m (H2O) = 1 mol * 18g/mol = 18 g
m (solution) = 44 g + 18 g = 62 g
% = (44 g / 66 g) * 100 = 70,96%
or
n (CO2) = 1 dm3 / 22,4 dm3/mol = 0,045 mol
m (CO2) = 0,045 mol * 44 g/mol = 1,98 g
n (H2O) = 0,045 mol (1:1)
m (H2O) = 0,045 mol * 18 g/mol = 0,81 g
m (solution) 1,98 g + 0,81 g = 2,79 g
% = (1,98 g / 2,79 g) * 100 = 70,96%

Does it even make sense?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would interpret "the mass percentage of the H2CO3" as: the ratio of the mass of the H2CO3 over the total mass of the products, expressed as a percentage.

If that's what you want, then you will need to know the mass of one mol of CaSO4.

What is the exact statement of your problem?

.Scott said:
I would interpret "the mass percentage of the H2CO3" as: the ratio of the mass of the H2CO3 over the total mass of the products, expressed as a percentage.

If that's what you want, then you will need to know the mass of one mol of CaSO4.
Assume that it's 136 g. How do I calculate the ratio?

mmmeraki said:
Assume that it's 136 g. How do I calculate the ratio?
The mass of the H2CO3 (62) over the total mass of the products (__ + __).

But Chestermiller has a point. I am not convinced you have paraphrased the problem correctly and completely.

.Scott said:
The mass of the H2CO3 (62) over the total mass of the products (__ + __).

But Chestermiller has a point. I am not convinced you have paraphrased the problem correctly and completely.
It's possible that I forgot something. It was on the test.

mmmeraki said:
It's possible that I forgot something. It was on the test.
Your original computation was the percentage of mass of the CO2 in the solution to the solution (H2CO3).
I interpreted what you reported as the percentage of mass of the solution (H2CO3) to the total mass of the product (CaSO4+H2CO3).

.Scott said:
Your original computation was the percentage of mass of the CO2 in the solution to the solution (H2CO3).
I interpreted what you reported as the percentage of mass of the solution (H2CO3) to the total mass of the product (CaSO4+H2CO3).

Thanks! Now I got it. :)

1. What is the equation for calculating mass % of H2CO3?

The equation for calculating mass % of H2CO3 is: (mass of H2CO3 / total mass of the compound) x 100%.

2. How do I determine the mass of H2CO3 in a compound?

You can determine the mass of H2CO3 by multiplying the number of moles of H2CO3 in the compound by its molar mass.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating mass % of H2CO3?

Sure, let's say we have a compound with a total mass of 100 g and it contains 2 moles of H2CO3. The molar mass of H2CO3 is 62 g/mol. Therefore, the mass of H2CO3 in the compound is 2 x 62 g = 124 g. To calculate the mass % of H2CO3, we use the equation: (124 g / 100 g) x 100% = 124%.

4. Why is calculating mass % of H2CO3 important in scientific experiments?

Calculating mass % of H2CO3 allows scientists to determine the concentration of H2CO3 in a compound, which is important in various chemical reactions and processes. It also helps in determining the purity of a compound.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of calculating mass % of H2CO3?

Yes, factors such as experimental error, impurities in the compound, and incomplete reactions can affect the accuracy of calculating mass % of H2CO3. It is important to use precise measurements and pure compounds in order to obtain accurate results.