1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write F as a sum of an orthogonal and parallel vector

1. Jun 30, 2014 #1
    an object is moving in the direction i + j is being acted upon by the force vector 2i + j, express this force as the sum of a force in the direction of motion and a force perpendicular to the direction of motion.

the parallel would be [tex] \hat{i}+\hat{j}[/tex] and the orthogonal would be [tex]\hat{i} - \hat{j}[/tex]

using projection of F onto the parallel and orthogonal

[tex] \frac{<1,1>\cdot<2,1>}{||<1,1>||^2}<1,1> = <\frac{3}{2}, \frac{3}{2} >[/tex]

[tex] \frac{<1,-1>\cdot<2,1>}{||<1,-1>||^2}<1,-1> = <\frac{1}{2} , \frac{-1}{2}>[/tex]

[tex] \vec{F} = <\frac{3}{2}, \frac{3}{2} > + <\frac{1}{2}, \frac{-1}{2} > [/tex]

[tex] = 2\hat{i} + 1\hat{j} [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Out of curiosity, what is the i+j direction? Do you mean the positive x and y directions? Where is the object exactly?

I'm assuming a few things here, but:

Place the force vector ##\vec F = 2 \hat i + 1 \hat j## at the position of the object; Then find a unit vector ##\vec u## in the direction of the object (using a position vector ##\vec r##).

Use ##\vec F## and ##\vec u## to find the parallel projection ##F_{||}## (by using the dot product). Take a moment to express the parallel component in vector form, ##\vec F_{||}##, by using ##\vec u##.

The perpendicular component is easily obtained by geometry afterwards, i.e:

##\vec F_{\perp} = \vec F - \vec F_{||}##

4. Jul 1, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know what you mean, but the sentence is not correct. It means as if the parallel and perpendicular components of the force vector would be i+j and i-j. You have to find the force component parallel with the direction of motion , say v and perpendicular to it. The direction of the motion is parallel to i+j and i-j is perpendicular to it.

The result is correct.

ehild

5. Jul 1, 2014 #4
    thats the only information given. this is in a calc class not a physics class so like most math classes they give the bare minimum with physics problems

6. Jul 1, 2014 #5

yeah I typed the question word for word, not the best wording

7. Jul 1, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The question was correct. It was the first sentence of your solution which was not.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted