Writing a book and I need some facts if you'd be so kind.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Badhorsesmare
So I've done a little research on EMP and I know how they disable electronics, but I don't quite understand the aftermath.
If planet 'A' gets hit with a MASSIVE pulse, or several less massive pulses, would flora and fauna be directly affected?
All the electronics present on 'A' would undoubtedly be broken, (would they explode?) but would the EMP make it impossible to rebuild the technology?

I know that several TV shows (*cringes* sorry) talk about EMP shielding, is that a real concept or is it already in use?

I'm not really physics smart so I apologize if any of these questions seem ridiculous to ask.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
An EMP releases EM radiation that induces voltages and currents in conductors. Most flora and fauna aren't good conductors and wouldn't be affected unless the EMP is unrealistically strong. EMP shielding is real and is used extensively in the U.S. military. The shielding can be something as simple as a faraday cage around a device or can be as complicated as a fully shielded building with filters, spark gaps, and a plethora of other protective methods.
 
Badhorsesmare said:
So I've done a little research on EMP and I know how they disable electronics, but I don't quite understand the aftermath.
If planet 'A' gets hit with a MASSIVE pulse, or several less massive pulses, would flora and fauna be directly affected?
All the electronics present on 'A' would undoubtedly be broken, (would they explode?) but would the EMP make it impossible to rebuild the technology?

I know that several TV shows (*cringes* sorry) talk about EMP shielding, is that a real concept or is it already in use?

I'm not really physics smart so I apologize if any of these questions seem ridiculous to ask.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Welcome to the PF.

Since EMP use is both illegal and dangerous, we do not generally allow discussions about it here on the PF. Drakkith's reply should give you what you want for your book. I'm also going to move this thread to the Science Fiction Book Forum, and leave it locked.