Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing a function of x and y as a function of z

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    Is there a general method for this?
    I remember in complex analysis going the other direction; that is, a function of z becoming a function of x and y.
    But I need to turn a complex function in a function of just z, for the purpose of integrating with respect to z.
    In particular, the function is
    x^2/2-cx-y^2/2+ i(x-c)y where c is a constant.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you say z, are you referring to z, as in the third coordinate of an x,y,z system or the complex variable z, as in z= x + iy?

4. Mar 9, 2013 #3
    complex variable z, as in z=x+iy.

5. Mar 9, 2013 #4
    In fact I now see how to write this in terms of z but it is from recognizing the form. Is there a more general method?
    Please no one reply with "well if you recognize the form in this particular equation.", because again, I already see it.
    General method please?

6. Mar 9, 2013 #5

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Hi, try:

x= (z+ z^)/2 , where z^ is the conjugate, i.e. if z=x+iy, then z^= x-iy

y=( z- z^)/2i

It comes from z=x+iy

7. Mar 9, 2013 #6
    Thanks

8. Mar 9, 2013 #7

Mute

Homework Helper

Be aware that you cannot necessarily write a function f(x,y) solely as a function of ##z = x + i y##. You may find that the complex conjugate ##z^\ast = x - iy## does not cancel out of your expression.

You will only be left with a function of z (and not z*) if your function is analytic in the complex plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook