Writing an essay for summer research as an undergraduate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ianmgull
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
I'm a second year physics undergrad getting ready to apply for a summer research program at my school. These positions are very competitive so I'd like to ask for some advice.

The main component of the application is a 500 word essay stating why I want to participate in the program and what I hope to learn. I'm looking for advice on writing this essay.

I'm not at the top of my class in physics. I'm slightly above average on my best days but I have a practically obsessive relationship with my interests. I'm also majoring in math.

How do you stand out with these types of essays?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Research the positions and tailor you essay to them hilighting the strengths you'll bring to the projects. Its like a job appl where you tailor your resume to what they are looking for from your set of skills.