1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing an essay for summer research as an undergraduate

1. Apr 10, 2015 #1
    I'm a second year physics undergrad getting ready to apply for a summer research program at my school. These positions are very competitive so I'd like to ask for some advice.

The main component of the application is a 500 word essay stating why I want to participate in the program and what I hope to learn. I'm looking for advice on writing this essay.

I'm not at the top of my class in physics. I'm slightly above average on my best days but I have a practically obsessive relationship with my interests. I'm also majoring in math.

How do you stand out with these types of essays?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Research the positions and tailor you essay to them hilighting the strengths you'll bring to the projects. Its like a job appl where you tailor your resume to what they are looking for from your set of skills.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook