Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing and publishing an e-book.

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I have a small project I want to work on: I want to write a small educational e-book on a science topic, such as acid base chemistry, just for the joy and creativity of doing it. I like to dive into subjects and write about them.

Do any of you know what software I would need in order to write and publish such a book as an e-book (with pictures/diagrams/drawings) on amazon?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2015 #2
    latex has it all for you. I used to write reports on chemistry labs when I was in college.

4. Jan 21, 2015 #3
    Thank you, So everything from writing to formatting to different platforms (e-ink readers, iphone etc.) can be done with Latex alone?

5. Jan 21, 2015 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Of course not.

There's Lyx (which incorporates Latex) but I found it's interface awkward last time I tried it. Like you, I'm interested in good e-book writing software, but I only use Linux. So I don't want a Windows-only or Mac-only solution.

6. Jan 25, 2015 #5
    Thank you, I guess I'll have to do some research when i begin writing, then perhaps i can write about the things I've tried out in terms of formatting software.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook