Writing and publishing an e-book.

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to write a small educational e-book on a science topic using software that would allow for the inclusion of pictures, diagrams, and drawings. The use of Latex is suggested as it has all the necessary tools for writing and publishing an e-book. However, the individual also mentions other options such as Lyx, which incorporates Latex but has a potentially awkward interface. The conversation concludes with the need for further research into e-book writing software that is compatible with the user's Linux operating system.
christian0710
Hi,
I have a small project I want to work on: I want to write a small educational e-book on a science topic, such as acid base chemistry, just for the joy and creativity of doing it. I like to dive into subjects and write about them.

Do any of you know what software I would need in order to write and publish such a book as an e-book (with pictures/diagrams/drawings) on amazon?

Physics news on Phys.org
latex has it all for you. I used to write reports on chemistry labs when I was in college.

Medicol said:
latex has it all for you. I used to write reports on chemistry labs when I was in college.

Thank you, So everything from writing to formatting to different platforms (e-ink readers, iphone etc.) can be done with Latex alone?

christian0710 said:
So everything from writing to formatting to different platforms (e-ink readers, iphone etc.) can be done with Latex alone?

Of course not.

There's Lyx (which incorporates Latex) but I found it's interface awkward last time I tried it. Like you, I'm interested in good e-book writing software, but I only use Linux. So I don't want a Windows-only or Mac-only solution.

Stephen Tashi said:
Of course not.

There's Lyx (which incorporates Latex) but I found it's interface awkward last time I tried it. Like you, I'm interested in good e-book writing software, but I only use Linux. So I don't want a Windows-only or Mac-only solution.
Thank you, I guess I'll have to do some research when i begin writing, then perhaps i can write about the things I've tried out in terms of formatting software.

1. What is an e-book?

An e-book, or electronic book, is a digital version of a book that can be read on a computer, e-reader, or mobile device. It typically contains text, images, and sometimes multimedia elements.

2. How do I write an e-book?

To write an e-book, you first need to come up with a topic and outline your content. Then, you can use a word processing or design software to create your e-book. You should also consider hiring an editor or proofreader to ensure your e-book is polished and error-free.

3. What format should my e-book be in?

The most common formats for e-books are PDF, EPUB, and MOBI. PDFs are typically used for e-books with a lot of images or graphics, while EPUB and MOBI are more suited for text-heavy e-books. You should research and choose the format that works best for your audience and distribution methods.

4. How do I publish my e-book?

You can publish your e-book through self-publishing platforms such as Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing or Smashwords. These platforms allow you to upload your e-book and make it available for purchase on their websites. You can also consider traditional publishing methods, but these may require more time and resources.

5. How do I market my e-book?

Marketing your e-book is crucial for reaching your target audience and increasing sales. You can use social media, email marketing, book reviews, and advertising to promote your e-book. It's also important to have a well-designed cover, a compelling book description, and positive reviews to attract potential readers.