Publishing Book Review - PhD student

In summary, the speaker is a first year PhD student at a respected research university in England, studying Fluid Dynamics. They are interested in gaining writing and publishing experience by submitting a book review to a journal. They are seeking advice from others, including both supervisors and fellow students, on how to find a suitable journal for this purpose. The speaker has already spoken to their supervisor but is looking for additional perspectives.
RobosaurusRex
Hi All,

Happy 2017!

I am a first year PhD student at a well respected research university for Fluid Dynamics research in England. My PhD research is in the field of Geophysical and Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics.
I am interested in gaining some writing, and publishing experience and I thought that a good way of doing this would be by trying to submit a book review to a journal.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this? I would like to hear not just from supervisors but also students.

Any advice on finding a journal to do such a thing?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should discuss this with your advisor. These kind of things is why an advisor exists in the first place.

Likes Logical Dog
micromass said:
You should discuss this with your advisor. These kind of things is why an advisor exists in the first place.
Sorry if i was not clear, I have spoke to my supervisor and others in the department. I was more looking for further thoughts on the matter, particularly from other students.

And what did your advisor say? What exactly is it that you want to know that your advisor couldn't tell you?

micromass said:
And what did your advisor say? What exactly is it that you want to know that your advisor couldn't tell you?
Nothing in particular, I just feel that in these matters it is always nice to have multiple opinions, and experiences discussed. I feel that many people who have done this previously may have additional insight to this, as opposed to my supervisor who hasn't been a PhD student in many years.

1. What is the purpose of publishing a book review as a PhD student?

The purpose of publishing a book review as a PhD student is to contribute to the scholarly conversation and demonstrate your ability to critically analyze and evaluate existing literature in your field. It can also serve as a means to showcase your writing and research skills.

2. Can a book review be considered a form of academic publication?

Yes, a book review can be considered a form of academic publication. While it may not hold the same weight as a research article or book, it still undergoes a peer review process and contributes to the academic discourse in your field.

3. How do I choose which book to review?

When choosing a book to review as a PhD student, it is important to select a book that is relevant to your research interests and aligns with your expertise. It should also be a recent publication and one that has not been extensively reviewed already.

4. What is the typical format for a book review?

The typical format for a book review as a PhD student includes an introduction that provides a brief overview of the book, the author's main argument or thesis, and the book's contribution to the field. This is followed by a critical analysis of the book's strengths and weaknesses, and a conclusion that summarizes your overall evaluation.

5. How can I ensure that my book review is of high quality and contributes to my academic career?

To ensure that your book review is of high quality and contributes to your academic career, it is important to carefully read and critically evaluate the book, provide clear and concise writing, and follow the guidelines and submission requirements of the journal or publication. It is also beneficial to seek feedback from peers or mentors before submitting your review.