1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing chemical equations w/ catalysts

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    hi. for a science lab in school we were discussing/exploring chemical equations...
    we had hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) which was catalyzed by potassium iodide (KI)
    for our lab report we need links to a website which describes how to properly write equations w/ catalysts. so firstly is this right:

2(H2O2) [yield w/ KI above the sign] 2(H2O) + O2

as a note, if i put 2 then parentheses it means that 2 is the coefficient.
    secondly, could anybody provide me with helpful links or an explination to why the above equations is right (or wrong if it is) and why? i'd like an explination and a few links so i could finish my project and do well on it.

i'd appreciate an answer ASAP. thanks <3

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2
    another thing, what would that problem look like in words?

something like this id imagine (but not positive):

hydrogen peroxide (L) catalyzed by a potassium iodide crystal

4. Nov 30, 2008 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You are more or less OK, you may want to use word "decomposition". As for finding links - google seems to be the best idea. You may want to limit your searches to .edu sites, try something like "hydrogen peroxide decomposition site:edu"

5. Nov 30, 2008 #4
    okay, thank you very, very much.
    this really helped, i found a perfect website! :]

(and the fact that it was a decomp equation really helped me too.)
    thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?