Writing down Mathematics with Arrays

In summary, the conversation was about the difference between basic matrix operations and array operations. The speaker was interested in how to write down array operations on paper, specifically the Hadamard/Schur product. The other person clarified that the Schur product is used for multiplying matrices element-wise and suggested using the notation A *_S B.
dimensionless
I know how to do basic matrix operations, but sometimes I do calculations on computers and do array operations. How do I write down array operations on paper? For example, say I have two matrices, A and B, and I want to multiply them element by element.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What you really want is the ordinary product at the top of the linked wiki article.

Integral said:
What you really want is the ordinary product at the top of the linked wiki article.

He seems to want to multiply them element-wise, which is was the Schur product is for.

So if I take the Schur product of A and B to get C, do I write

[tex]A \cdot B = C[/tex]

As far as notation goes, this looks exactly like a dot product.

You can use whatever notation for you that you want. What's important is that you know you're talking about the Schur product. I've seen some people use [tex]A *_S B[/tex].

1. How do arrays help with writing down mathematics?

Arrays are a powerful tool for organizing and visualizing mathematical data. They allow you to represent complex mathematical expressions in a structured and systematic way, making them easier to understand and manipulate.

2. What is the difference between a one-dimensional and multi-dimensional array?

A one-dimensional array is a list of values arranged in a single row or column, while a multi-dimensional array is a table of values with multiple rows and columns. Multi-dimensional arrays are useful for representing data that has more than one variable, such as matrices or vectors.

3. How can I use arrays to solve mathematical problems?

Arrays can be used to store and manipulate data, making them a useful tool for solving mathematical problems. By organizing data into arrays, you can perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division more efficiently.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using arrays in mathematical writing?

One common mistake is using incorrect indices when accessing elements in an array. It is important to pay attention to the size and order of your array to ensure you are accessing the correct values. Additionally, make sure to properly initialize your arrays and avoid using duplicate variable names.

5. Are there any alternative methods for representing mathematical data besides arrays?

Yes, there are other methods for representing mathematical data, such as graphs, tables, and equations. The choice of method often depends on the type of data being represented and the specific problem being solved. However, arrays are a versatile and commonly used tool for writing down mathematics.