Writing Net Ionic Equation for Cu(NH4)2(SO4)2 x 6H2O + NaOH Reaction

  • Thread starter Thread starter Selophane
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
Selophane
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to figure out how to go about writing the net ionic equation for :

[tex]Cu(NH_{4})_{2}(SO_{4})_{2} x 6H_{2}O + NaOH[/tex]

incase that doesn't show, Cu(NH4)2(SO4)2 x 6H2O + NaOH... (thats a hydrate there)
I believe a precipitate is suppose to form, but i have no clue how to go about this one where it has 3 ions in it, Cu, NH4, and SO4... help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Selophane said:
I'm trying to figure out how to go about writing the net ionic equation for :

[tex]Cu(NH_{4})_{2}(SO_{4})_{2} x 6H_{2}O + NaOH[/tex]

incase that doesn't show, Cu(NH4)2(SO4)2 x 6H2O + NaOH... (thats a hydrate there)
I believe a precipitate is suppose to form, but i have no clue how to go about this one where it has 3 ions in it, Cu, NH4, and SO4... help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
What are the cations? What are the anions? Break the equation up into them, and you should see your answer.
 
hmm, ok, i think this is correct then?

Cu2+ 2NH4+ 2SO42- 6H+ 6OH- + Na+ OH-

not sure what ones form the products here tho...
thanks for the response!