Net Ionic Equation for Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2.6H2O + KMnO4 Reaction"

In summary, the net ionic equation for the reaction between Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2.6H2O and KMnO4 is 5Fe2+ + MnO4- + 8H+ → 5Fe3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O. This reaction takes place in an acidic solution and is commonly used in permanganate titrations. In order to ensure known stoichiometry, permanganate is reduced to Mn2+. For help with balancing redox reactions, refer to available resources on the topic.
Hockeystar

Homework Statement

Give the net ionic equation for this reaction:

Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2.6H2O + KMnO4

Homework Equations

Reducing reaction is

4H+ + MnO4- + 3e ---> MnO2 + 2H2O

Oxidation

3Fe+2 ---> 3Fe+3 + 3e

The Attempt at a Solution

4H+ + MnO4- + 3Fe+2 ---> MnO2 + 2H2O + 3Fe+3

My question is is this a basic or acidic solution? I'm assuming acidic because ammonium with have a tendency to lose it's H+. Is this the net ionic equation or do I have to include more? Can someone confirm wether or not my answer is corrent

Physics news on Phys.org
sweet so it looks like My equation was correct.

No - MnO2 ad Mn2+ are two different things.

--

Hmmmm. The website you provided me with says Permanganate can be reduced into MnO2, Mn2+, or MnO4(-2) depending on the pH. Does this mean I have to use my molar concentrations to figure out which one it is?

All these reactions are used in analytical chemistry, but the most popular is the use of permanganate in low pH solutions.

I don't remember titration methods that will not reduce permangante to Mn2+. This is the only way of being sure that the reaction can't proceed further and hence has known stoichiometry.

--

Thank You. The reaction that shoyuld take place is then.

5Fe2+ + MnO4- + 8H+ → 5Fe3+ + Mn2+ + 4H2O

Correct.

--
methods

I know I am going to sound like a complete moron but I am lost! In my high school they offer this chemistry class. They call it pre-college chemistry. Well i am more confused than britany spears on crack. I need help with redox reaction?

1. What is the balanced net ionic equation for the reaction between Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2.6H2O and KMnO4?

The balanced net ionic equation for this reaction is:

2 Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2⋅6H2O + 2 KMnO4 → 2 Fe(OH)3 + 2 NH4HSO4 + 2 NH4MnO4 + 6 H2O

2. What are the reactants and products in the net ionic equation for this reaction?

The reactants are Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2⋅6H2O and KMnO4, and the products are Fe(OH)3, NH4HSO4, NH4MnO4, and H2O.

3. What type of reaction is this and what are the driving forces behind it?

This is a redox reaction, specifically a double displacement reaction. The driving forces behind this reaction are the formation of more stable products and the transfer of electrons from Fe to Mn.

4. How do you determine the net ionic equation for a reaction?

To determine the net ionic equation for a reaction, first write the balanced molecular equation. Then, write the complete ionic equation by separating all soluble ionic compounds into their respective ions. Finally, cancel out any spectator ions (ions that appear on both sides of the equation) to obtain the net ionic equation.

5. What is the significance of writing a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation shows only the species that are directly involved in the reaction and their respective charges. It allows for a clearer understanding of the chemical changes that occur in a reaction and helps to identify the driving forces behind the reaction. It also simplifies the equation by eliminating spectator ions, making it easier to balance and interpret.