Writing proofs that are more or less formal

In summary, the conversation discusses the distinctions between formal and informal proofs and the use of phrases like "continue in this manner" in proofs. The concept of the principle of recursive definition is mentioned as a way to formalize the use of this phrase, but it is noted that it must be proven rigorously. The conversation also touches on the use of this principle in a proof for a famous topology text, and the potential criticism of not explicitly stating it.
Terrell
How do I know if a proof I am writing or reading is informal or formal enough? Of course there are obvious distinctions like a formal proofs cannot constitute a drawing (e.g. venn diagrams, triangles for the triangle inequality), but sometimes I read proofs that uses phrases like "Continue in this manner". Are there clear rules we can follow?

For instance, I am trying to prove

"Let ##X## be a totally ordered set and ##\forall U\subseteq X## s.t. ##U\neq\emptyset## has both a max. and min., then ##X## is finite."

The idea of the proof is very intuitive and recursive, but formalizing it is a bit tricky since there's multiple ways of doing it. After writing a quite complicated and incorrect proof. Then someone wrote the following proof

"Assume X is infinite and let ##x_1## be the bottom element of ##X##. Let ##X_1## = ##X## - {##x_1##} and ##x_2## the bottom element of ##X_1##. Continue in this manner creating the set { ##x_j## : j in N }. which has no maximum."

Which made me a bit irritated because I think using the phrase "Continue in this manner" is like "cheating". So how can I take advantage of this style of writing if I am not aware of the boundaries of what I can and cannot do when writing formal proofs in math?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The proof is using the principle of recursive definition to define the set, without acknowledging it. It is poor practice to use a principle without acknowledging it, unless that principle is being used so often in the text leading up to the proof that it need not be mentioned.

In the famous Topology text by Munkres, the author makes a specific point of the defects in proofs that assume this principle without stating it. He presents an example of a proof that does this and then calls out the transgression immediately afterwards in order to introduce the principle. See section 1-7 'Countable and Uncountable Sets'.

The above proof can be written more rigorously without increasing the length, as follows:

Assume X is infinite. Then the principle of recursive definition tells us that there exists a unique function ##h:\mathbb N\to X## such that ##h(1)=\min(X)## and for ##k>1,\ h(k)=\min \left (X - \bigcup_{j=1}^{k-1}\{h(j)\}\right)##. Then the image of ##h## is a subset of X that has no maximum.

The last sentence is not blindingly obvious and could do with some expansion, but that criticism applies both to this version and the one in the OP.

Last edited:
Likes Terrell
"Continue in this manner" means "replace 1 by 2 and 2 by 3 for the next step, then replace them by 3 and 4, and so on." There are nicer ways to write it, but there is nothing informal about it - it is a unique description of the set.

mfb said:
"Continue in this manner" means "replace 1 by 2 and 2 by 3 for the next step, then replace them by 3 and 4, and so on." There are nicer ways to write it, but there is nothing informal about it - it is a unique description of the set.
So the principle of recursive definition is the way of mathematicians of "formalizing" this?

Terrell said:
So the principle of recursive definition is the way of mathematicians of "formalizing" this?
The principle of recursive definition is actually a theorem, which has to be proven rigorously. The claim of the theorem is set out in the above link. Essentially it says that there exists a unique function that has the properties given in a recursive definition. The proof of the theorem typically uses the induction axiom of Peano arithmetic.

There are two long proofs of the theorem given here, as well as a short, fallacious one. I had a quick look at the first proof and it looks sound, except that in the last line of the theorem statement ##g(f(m))## should be ##g(f(n))##. But I did not check it step by step.

On reflection I realize that a more precise way of invoking the theorem in my above post is to say "the principle of recursive definition tells us that there exists a unique function" rather than "use the principle of recursive definition to define a function". I will make the change above.

Likes Terrell
andrewkirk said:
The principle of recursive definition is actually a theorem, which has to be proven rigorously.
Wow, this is cool! However, my university profs might not approve of me using this though lol.

1. What is the purpose of writing a formal proof?

The purpose of writing a formal proof is to provide a rigorous and logical explanation for a mathematical statement or theorem. Formal proofs allow for clear and concise communication of mathematical ideas and ensure that conclusions are based on sound reasoning.

2. How do I begin writing a formal proof?

The first step in writing a formal proof is to clearly state the theorem or statement that you are trying to prove. Then, carefully read and understand the given information and any previously proven theorems that may be relevant to the proof. From there, you can start to develop a logical argument using mathematical principles and definitions.

3. What are the key elements of a formal proof?

A formal proof consists of a series of statements and logical deductions that lead to the desired conclusion. The key elements include clearly stating the given information, defining any relevant terms, and using logical steps, such as axioms, theorems, and definitions, to support the conclusion.

4. How can I make my proof more formal?

To make a proof more formal, it is important to use precise and concise language, avoid colloquialisms or informal language, and clearly label each step of the proof. Additionally, you should always justify each step with a logical reason or principle.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when writing a formal proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a formal proof include making assumptions without justification, using circular reasoning, and skipping steps without proper justification. It is also important to ensure that the proof is clear and easy to follow, and to use correct notation and terminology.