Writing symbolically, and negating

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, to express each statement symbolically with explicit quantification, we must state that for every positive real number, there exists a set of real numbers whose square is equal to that number. To negate the statement, we would say that there exists a positive real number for which there is no set of real numbers whose square is equal to that number.
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Express each statement symbolically, including a quantification of all variables which makes the universe explicit. Negate the symbolic statement.

Every positive real number has a real square root. (Do not use the symbol √ in your solution.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this question I am unsure of how to go about it.

I assume I must use the universal quantifier because we are dealing with every positive real number.

So to write it symbolically I would do (∀x∈ℝ)(x½>0)

Would this be correct?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
No that says that for every real number its square root is positive, which is neither correct, nor what was requested.

Try first putting the statement into words that are more similar to those used in logic.

. . . If a number is positive then it has A square root.

Then think about exactly what it means to say that a number has a square root. Hint, it will involve an existence statement about another number.

I think to use ##\sqrt{}## or to use the power of ##\frac{1}{2}## is meant to be the same, i.e. not allowed.
Again the trick is to use sets: Define ##S_c := \{\,r\in \mathbb{R}\,:\,r^2=c\,\}## for any ##c > 0##. Then a square root of ##c## means, ##S_c \neq \emptyset\,.##

1. What is symbolic writing?

Symbolic writing is the use of symbols to represent ideas, concepts, or objects. This can include letters, numbers, or other visual representations.

2. How is symbolic writing different from traditional writing?

Traditional writing uses words and sentences to convey meaning, while symbolic writing uses symbols to represent meaning. Symbolic writing is often used in mathematical and scientific contexts.

3. What is the purpose of negating in symbolic writing?

Negating in symbolic writing is the process of expressing the opposite or negation of a statement or concept. This is often used in logic and mathematics to show the absence or falsity of a statement.

4. How do you negate a symbol in symbolic writing?

Negating a symbol in symbolic writing can be done by adding a negation symbol, such as a line through the symbol or a tilde (~) in front of it. This indicates that the symbol should be interpreted as its opposite.

5. Can symbolic writing be used in everyday communication?

While symbolic writing is commonly used in scientific and mathematical contexts, it can also be used in everyday communication. For example, emojis can be seen as a form of symbolic writing to convey emotions or ideas. However, it is important to ensure that the symbols used are understood by the intended audience.