1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with solving an equation

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a square 50x50 units. I want to make a pool(box without a lid), and then cut away the corners. The "corner-square" is x^2.
    What I want is a formula X(v) that gives me the x value needed to get a fixed volume.

2. Relevant equations
    The V(x) function is base x height, x(50-2x)^2. But i have problems isolating x based on this formula.

3. The attempt at a solution
    If i try solving it in Maple I get:
    25/2 + 1/2sqrt(625-2v) and 25/2 - 1/2sqrt(625-2v)
    but this makes no sense to me.

I've calculated the max volume at x=25/3 to be 250000/27, and the function is only valid from x=0..25.

I guess the answers Maple gives me is because it does not know og my 0..25 range, but I dont know how to make that part of the calculation.

If the problem is unclear, please say so and I will try to explain better.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If each side is 50 and you "cut away" [itex]x^2[/itex] from each corner then you base will have sides of length 50- 2x. The base will have area [itex](50- 2x)^2[/itex] and the box will have height x. The volume is [itex]x(50- 2x)^2[/itex].

Now, what is it you specifically want to do? Solve [itex]x(50- 2x)^2= v[/itex] for any v? Multiplying out the left side gives [itex]4x^3- 200x^2+ 2500x= v[/itex] or the cubic equation [itex]4x^2- 200x^2+ 2500x- v= 0[/itex]. Your "Maple" solution looks like a quadratic formula- you may have left out an "x".

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    Thanks for answering!
    What I want is a function that gives me the x value needed to make a box with a cirtain volume.

I will check my equations in Maple tonight, when I get back from work.

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4
    I did leave out an x, but still did not get a sensible answer. But when I read the problem text once more a saw that I was not supposed to make a formula, but use the formula V=x(50-2x)^2 and use tables to narrow down to the volume you needed.

So the problem is solved that way and that I figuerd out :P

Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook